Sign in to follow this  

crf230 or a ttr230

which bike is better?? and why??

ive tried mx bikes but they are too much for my style riding.

i have a xt 225 which is ok, but needs a little more.

i like the size of the xt,meaning short, thats why im looking at the 230's

They're pretty much the same thing . . . pick a color. Neither one is going to be much "more" of a bike than the xt. if you want somthing more potent (better engine and suspension) but tractable i'd look at a KLX 300 or a KDX 220 (or 200) or a TTR-250. The only problem that you might have is the height. Also if you want a dual sport the new KLX-250s is a real dirtbike with blinkers and the seat heigth isn't horrible.

This topic is often posted. All the threads have come to one simple answer, it doesn't matter which one you pick. It all comes down to which brand you prefer. I see more people on crf230 these days than ttr230s. But that might be because the ttr230 is relatively new. The XT is a heavy bike with horrible suspension. So anything will be a step up from that.

no i hae not had a problem getting around offroad with the xt's power. alittle more would be nice, but i like that its not dangerous power. i am after a little better susp. and comfort (seat). the prob with the xt is it is new and i dont want to completly trash it on the trail. if i could find a cheap 230 i would go that way. i have a rm 250 that is way too fast for the trails and too stiff susp. i also have a ktm 360 exe but its not running correctly at the moment and it is way too tall. so i figure ill sell those two and get something else

This question again?

They are the same ****ing thing.

Just try them and buy the one that fits better..... or use the search feature.

no i hae not had a problem getting around offroad with the xt's power. alittle more would be nice, but i like that its not dangerous power. i am after a little better susp. and comfort (seat). the prob with the xt is it is new and i dont want to completly trash it on the trail. if i could find a cheap 230 i would go that way. i have a rm 250 that is way too fast for the trails and too stiff susp. i also have a ktm 360 exe but its not running correctly at the moment and it is way too tall. so i figure ill sell those two and get something else

Sounds like a used bike for what you want. Whichever 230 comes up for sale for the price you want will do just fine - craigs list, newspaper, TT...

You could probably tame that RM-250 down a bit into an awesome woods bike for less money than buying a used TTR/CRF; soften (and possibly lower) the suspension, tame the motor with a heavier flywheel, different exhaust, etc. It would weigh a lot less too. Whatever you do, DON'T get an older TTR-225, completely different bike than the 230, horrible bike.

how big a difference is there when you install a heavier flywheel?? how much could the rm be lowered?? and what or who would i need to do something with the springs? how much softer can the susp. get on the rm??

how big a difference is there when you install a heavier flywheel?? how much could the rm be lowered?? and what or who would i need to do something with the springs? how much softer can the susp. get on the rm??
A heavy flywheel would make the bike rev slower and smoother (and harder to stall). If you combine that with a pipe that is designed to move the power away from the top end more toward the low and midrange, the motor will be very different and much more woods friendly. There's a reason why 250 2 stroke MX bikes are still very popular for the East coast GNCC races (where most of the courses are tight, slippery, nastry tree-filled woods). You could make the suspension as soft as you need it with different valving and springs. Try to find a well-recommended suspension tuner in your area, if possible, if not, try calling one of the better known big places (Factory Connection, RG3, etc.), either should be able to give you specifics on what can be done to lower the bike.

Matte is right about the 225, the 230 is lighter and easier to toss around.

I did talk with a fellow that "tamed" his 250 mx. A flywheel weight and gearing changes (bigger c/s) helped, then a "cammed" throttle made even a bigger difference (it was a G2 throttle maybe?). He claims he still has to be mindful of the power :thumbsup: