Sign in to follow this  

Installing a DS kit

When installing a dual sport kit how are you guys getting around the 'no keyed ignition' issue?

Do you just park it and hope?

Is there a easy way to disable the ignition (EXC)

Thanks

Sicass (sicassracing.com) racing in Clarkston, Mi has a "Hidden" kill switch listed on their web site that would provide some secuity for you unattended bike. If you want a key, baja designs has keyed switches for dual sport conversions.

Is that a switch only for the electric starter? Does it prevent the thief from using the kickstarter as well?

You could hide a switch that is tapped into the ignition so no start from e or kick. Sadly though, if it is gonna be stolen, even having a keyed ignition won't really stop theivery. That's the problem with 250 lb bikes, lift em up and thrown them in a truck and gone in 30 seconds.......

One option is a tether type kill switch in a hidden location. Pull the tether when you leave.

Cheep and east to install. I have one for my 450 but its not on yet.

I ride mine around as a street tard quite a bit and also as a street legal dirt bike. I don't have an ignition switch or any hidden swiches and have left it unattended outside convenience stores and gas stations for short periods of time with no problems. But I probably wouldn't risk leaving it out of sight for longer than 15 minutes in a parking lot or something. It attracts a lot of attention set up as a street tard....too much.

Is that a switch only for the electric starter? Does it prevent the thief from using the kickstarter as well?

I installed the BD key switch last weekend. It makes a connection when off so all you do is tap it into the wires for the kill switch.

key switch

But like previously stated if a thief wants the bike they will get it so I also carry theft insurance. I figure $270 a year is worth the piece of mind.