Sign in to follow this  

Loading a bike into a truck...HOW TO!

Hello Fellow Thumpers...I'm a 'soon-to-be' thumper. I am purchasing a CRF250R off ebay and would like some suggestions when I go to pick it up. This will be my first bike since I was a kid and I am not sure what I can use to get the bike into the truck.

Is a standard 2x6 good enough? Should I hook it onto the truck so it does not slide out while I am driving the bike up the ramp? Do I need any extra support so the board does not break?

Finally, any suggestions on how to secure the bike? I have a 2004 Tacoma Extended cab. It has eye hooks on the front and back of the bed (4 total).

I will need to keep the tailgate down because it is only a 6 foot bed.

Thanks!

This is what I use . Here It was around $ 90 @ the local Tractor Supply store . I like it because it folds ; and when open , gives quite a good scope ( easy to push a bike up the ramp ) . For tie downs , all you need is 2 of the 4 ft tie downs from any auto parts store .Hook one from each handlebar - closer to the stem - to the tie hook . I also use a 2 ft piece if 2 x 4 as a ' fork saver ' :thumbsup: This will help prevent your fork seals from blowing . Good luck !

Let me be the first to say, if you haven't ridden a bike in a while, don't ride it up the ramp. Here's a few suggestions.

1. Let the seller ride it up (I'm sure he/she has a ramp and has probably done this recently).

2. Borrow/buy an ATV bi-fold type ramp that is wide enough to push it up.

3. Get a long 2x6, etc and a milk crate. Push the bike up the 2x6 and use the milk crate to steo into the bed.

As far as securing it, I have two of the MSR "soft loop" tie downs that hook around the bars so they don't scratch them. Just hook one to each bar and compress them so that they will wrnech donw on the front forks a little bit. Don't pull as hard as you can.

Then you may want to put one going across the rear and looping around your rear tire/rim.

I just do the two on the bars and seldomly the rear one but it certainly won't hurt.

Don't let anyone ride it into the truck. A 2x6 is fine. The main thing is to have something to step on, like a cooler for example. Best loading/tie-down operation is to angle it in a corner...1 strap to other front corner, other strap to opposite rear corner. I've written an exhaustive picture-filled thread on this, quick search if you like...

I noticed Pep Boys sometimes has a ramp kit - two aluminum "lips" that bolt to a 2 x 6 board. I've been too cheap to go buy it - it's like $20 or so, only because I don't need both of them.

Hmmmmmm - anyone in Mont-commie County or Frederick area MD want to split a package with me?

Thanks ncj01, I actually found your other post on CRF's Only. All hail the wonder of GOOGLE! Bit creepy isn't it?

Here is the link (with photos) of how he secures his sweet azz bike in his sweet azz Tundra! http://crfsonly.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=6470&highlight=load

Thanks for the replies. I will probably keep the bike straight and will have two bikes in there most of the time. Maybe I should have added that to my original post. That kinda changes everything!

A 2x6 will work just fine, if there is a ditch near his house back into that so when the board gets put onto the tailgate, it won't be at such a steep angle and easier to walk on.

I bought my ramp of ebay. It is 7'6" and is arched. I would not trust a 2x6 at all unless it had the remp ends where it attaches to the truck. It is too easy for the ramp to slide over off the tail gate...or have the bike push the truck forward enough for the ramp to fall of the tail gate.

Haveing some sort of step beside the ramp helps get the bike up more easily...but until you are well practiced at it make sure you have a buddy help you if you get off balance.

Put a bike stand on the ground by the 2 x 6. Then get a running start and run the bike up the ramp and all in one motion put on foot on the bike stand and then the other on the tailgate and the step onto the tail gate with both feet. I do it all the time and it's not that hard.

I always lift the bike ointo the truck without any ramp whatsoever.

Youiu need another guy to do it so it`s not a solution if you ride by yourself.

It`s pretty easy.

I have a friend who always does it by himself. He says its more of a triclk than a strenght thing.

I wouldnt pay for a ramp because it is very easy to lioad it and unload it by hand.

Again the only problem is when you are on your own. Unless you get the trick just like my friend did.

I load it wiyth help of my dad, a neighbor and unload it with help from someone at the track.

I mostly ride all the way to the track or to the trails tough.

Its mexico so i can ride in the street without any problem.

Put a bike stand on the ground by the 2 x 6. Then get a running start and run the bike up the ramp and all in one motion put on foot on the bike stand and then the other on the tailgate and the step onto the tail gate with both feet. I do it all the time and it's not that hard.

I used to use a milk crate for the same reason, esp if you have a tall truck like mine. Tacomas a llow sitter though I think. While the 2x6 is fine, it can go wrong when wet and slippery. I have seen guys pushing their bike up the 2x6 and not keep it perfectly veertical and had it slide out and away from them off the 2x6 - nothing to hold it.

I always lift the bike ointo the truck without any ramp whatsoever.

Wow! Must not be an old guy with back problems like me :thumbsup: Besides, after a long hard day riding, I dont like the packup to be strenuous :ride:

You can also back the truck up to the driveway or into the curb to lower the tailgate. My girl has a 4X4 and im a short guy with a little ramp (rimshot) and the curb trick works good to load the bike.

Around here we used to have about 200 head of cows, and we had a ramp to have the cows walk up to get into the truck to take to market :thumbsup: . Well the ramp happens to be just 5 inches higher that my Brothers Dodge Ram, and just equal with my Dads Chevy Scottsdale.

I have seen guys pushing their bike up the 2x6 and not keep it perfectly veertical and had it slide out and away from them off the 2x6 - nothing to hold it.

Lol I've had that happen a few times in the winter when the bikes tires are all muddy and slippery. I will probably invest in a nice stand before it gets into the wet riding season here.

i feel very uncomfortable using those skinny loading ramps. maybe i'm a pansy.

i have a tri-folding atv ramp that i bought at sam's club for $85. it folds out across the entire width of my F150, and i can just give the bikes a push and walk right up.

pretty safe and easy.

you can get something similar at harbor freight.

Not sure if anyone mentioned these yet...

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=92201

They are $60 each, about $135 shipped for two of them.

They are 8ft long, fold up into 4ft halves.

Just walk up one, and put your bike on the 2nd one.

If anyone has an ATV, they work great for ATV's too.

My mother in law (54 years old) rides her atv up into my truck with these.

Good luck with everything.

My dad said he used to use 2x6's all the time for loading his bikes. He said that he used to just ride right up them into the truck. He also said that he had a friend who would jump on his bike when it was in the truck and BACK DOWN the 2x6 (now THAT'S crazy).

He also said to never use a 2x4, he tried once and it busted on him just before his back tire made it into the truck (so he was sitting on the frame on the tailgate, I bet that scared the sh!t out of him :thumbsup: )