Sign in to follow this  

Last minute FCR mounting question???

Looks like I need to move the right upper engine mount to the left side so the throttle cables will have clearance. Otherwise the cable binds and the pulley wheel on the carb hits the frame. Looks like I can move the engine mount, turn the carb and solve both problems.

Question is, what is the purpose of the rubber grommet that is screwed into the side of the left upper engine mount? Can it be removed permanently?

If I remember correctly, there is a spacer under it that happens to be the thickness of your right hand mount plate. When you stack your plates, mount the rubber bumper back without the spacer. Now it's back in the same relative spot.

Oh, it's a bumper for the tank to frame/mounts..... Needed.

It looks like the DOT wanted that bumper to prevent the engine mounting bolts from puncturing the gas tank during a crash. It did not touch the tank, so it must be a safety thing.

OK, maybe not needed, but cheap remedy. When it comes to that kinda thing, I'm Mr. HeatshrinkZiptieRTVNail'erDown....tooooo many years around machinery waiting to fail at an inopportune moment. :thumbsup:

I split the diff. of the mount plate with a thinner washer and put the bumper back on, like you recommended. I figured that it can't hurt anything. Thanks. Thanks to Eddie also, at least I know why it is there now.