Sign in to follow this  

My Sag on 06

is 90mm, though i have the compression clickers about 2 clicks stiffer. I will set it back to stock and check again i guess but i dont think it will make much of a difference. Does this mean i should go to the next stiffer spring rate on the shock? What about the forks? I weigh about 167 pounds, and i do find the bike bottoms sometimes on large jumps that don't have nice sloping landings.

LOL, i know that. i was just saying that the sag measurement might have slightly been a bit off because my clickers were not in the stock position.

doesnt matter where your clickers are.

Your sag first off should be 95-105mm. Remeasure there. I am guessing you are not measuring it correctly either.

If you are bottoming, then you need to find out why. I weigh more than you and dont have a problem. either you are flat landing or have the suspension clickers all dicked up. Go back to the stock clicker position, install new fork fluid per the manual and start over again.

http://www.transworldmotocross.com/mx/features/article/0,13190,700369,00.html

If you need help understanding what you are doing, turn to the last section of the owners manual called "TUNING". Start reading!

Also Ohlins has some really good info on their site:

http://www.damper.se/Motorcycle/Settingupyourbike/tabid/59/Default.aspx

doesnt matter where your clickers are.

Your sag first off should be 95-105mm. Remeasure there. I am guessing you are not measuring it correctly either.

If you are bottoming, then you need to find out why. I weigh more than you and dont have a problem. either you are flat landing or have the suspension clickers all dicked up. Go back to the stock clicker position, install new fork fluid per the manual and start over again.

http://www.transworldmotocross.com/mx/features/article/0,13190,700369,00.html

If you need help understanding what you are doing, turn to the last section of the owners manual called "TUNING". Start reading!

Also Ohlins has some really good info on their site:

http://www.damper.se/Motorcycle/Settingupyourbike/tabid/59/Default.aspx

We measured from the exact points that the manual stated, from the seat bolt to the swingarm bolt. And we are getting 90mm. How much was the sag when you measured, since you are heavier than me? I am bottoming on a large jump, with not much landing, so as i said, thats probably not the bikes fault, can't do anything about the occasional harsh jump. I am interested to hear what your sag was when you measured though, because it really shouldn't be all down in 90mm, i am thinking i need to go with a stiffer spring.

www.mb1suspension.com has some good tips also, by the way!

Oh, and i have adjsuted the stock clickers to a few clicks in on cmpression, and gone back to stock, and then adjusted again, its not my first time with the clickers, haha. Let me know about your sag though. If you weigh more than me and your sag was more than 90 then i probably did measure it wrong.

Hey you have to ADJUST THE SAG!

It does not matter what I weight or you do. You set your sag up for the rider. Jeez

Sounds like you are just twisting the clickers with no idea on what you are doing.

I'm very new to suspension setup,but I understand a few simpler things. First off,if you are even thinking of a new spring when you have not even worked with the stock stuff,you are in rough shape. You need to get the sag to the point where it needs to be before you can even start messing with the clickers much less start thinking about a new shock.

Go back to the stock,stock,stock,stock as it came from the factory settings and then measure and adjust your sag as it says to in the manual. That means using the preload rings,not the clickers. ABstain from the clickers.

Then go hit that same jump. If it bottoms still,then see above posts about how to adjust accordingly. But to say you need stiffer springs with the sag out of spec is just nuts.

Just how big is this jump you're bottoming on?

Nowhere does it state that you should ne3ver bottom. It's OK to bottom softly on the biggest jumps, as long as it's not too harsh and the bike is controllable after the bottom.

Hey you have to ADJUST THE SAG!

It does not matter what I weight or you do. You set your sag up for the rider. Jeez

Sounds like you are just twisting the clickers with no idea on what you are doing.

no no no no, you mis understand me here matt, i do know what the clickers are doing! and i know the sag has nothing to do with the clickers! I am not dumb here. I am just saying that when i measured the sag with the bike on the stand, with both wheels off the ground, and then with me on it (see? i know how to measure sag) the sag worked out to be 90mm. And i only weigh about 167, your saying that you weigh more than me so i must have done something wrong. I measured it from the seat bolt, to the swingmarm just as the manual said. I will measure again though to double check, but i am thinking that in stock configuration, if the sag for me is about 90mm, then i may need the next stiffer spring? OR if it is 90, should i then just adjust it to 95-100mm and see how it performs.

Where the stock sag is set means nothing!! Set the sag for your weight!!

You need to loosen the preload rings and get your sag to 95-100mm. I like 95mm. The front end sticks a little better at 95mm.

Then go from there with the clicker adjustments.

Where the stock sag is set means nothing!! Set the sag for your weight!!

Fully understood, matt just kind of confused me when he mentioned his weight in that first response he gave me. I have doen the sag on my bikes before this one. For some reason i had gotten the impression that i was too heavy for the stock spring, dont know why, maybe a dumb moment i was having or something. I'll be sure to adjust the sag this weekend.

The way to determine if your spring is correct for your weight is to first set the race (rider) sag to 95mm-105mm. Then measure your static (free) sag. If it is less than 25mm you need a stiffer spring. If it is more than 35mm you need a softer spring. This goes against conventional wisdom because you would think if it doesn't sag enough you need a softer spring, but what's happening is, if the spring is too soft, you'll have to crank the pre-load up to get your race sag and then the static sag won't be enough.

It also doesn't matter where you measure from (as long as you are consistent) because you're looking for the difference between your measurements. It is best to measure as close to vertical as possible, though.

Then measure your static (free) sag. If it is less than 25mm you need a stiffer spring. If it is more than 35mm you need a softer spring.

That's what I meant.

Thanks, guys, i set the sag to 95mm. Rode the bike yesterday, bike feels nice but i still have to test more with the clickers, over braking bumps at the end of a long straight coming into the corner, the bike kicks a bit and i'm not getting into the ruts as good as i will like, so as far as the shock goes i think i am headed in the right direction. As far as the forks now, i am not so happy, granted the track is fairly hard and dry so the conditions are not ideal, but i feel the bumps on corners or on slow sections transferring to my arms a bit too much and then on a big jumps with hard landings the bottoming resistance is not as good as i know it could be (may not be so on the other track i ride at, my track is ROUGH). I am thinking of changing the fork oil to a heavier weight, can anyone give me some advice on where to start as far as oil weight selection? I haven't changed the fork oil since i bought the bike so i think it is way over due by now. Also, any clicker recommendations? Should i try stiffer on the compression or rebound? I actually tried them already but to no real improvement.

SUnruh, no i have not replaced the fluids as yet. I need to do that and i am wondering if i should go with a heavier oil in the forks.

this is just what I read on Race tech. The stock clickers really don't alot. They say its because of fluild flow and the stack. Its not able to flow at a fast enough rate to rebound what most folks are looking for. Just google Race tech and read alittle on their tech pages.I could be miss quoting

Thanks, guys, i set the sag to 95mm. Rode the bike yesterday, bike feels nice but i still have to test more with the clickers, over braking bumps at the end of a long straight coming into the corner, the bike kicks a bit and i'm not getting into the ruts as good as i will like, so as far as the shock goes i think i am headed in the right direction. As far as the forks now, i am not so happy, granted the track is fairly hard and dry so the conditions are not ideal, but i feel the bumps on corners or on slow sections transferring to my arms a bit too much and then on a big jumps with hard landings the bottoming resistance is not as good as i know it could be (may not be so on the other track i ride at, my track is ROUGH). I am thinking of changing the fork oil to a heavier weight, can anyone give me some advice on where to start as far as oil weight selection? I haven't changed the fork oil since i bought the bike so i think it is way over due by now. Also, any clicker recommendations? Should i try stiffer on the compression or rebound? I actually tried them already but to no real improvement.

Check your static sag before messing with clickers, oil weights, or riding the bike. If your static sag is outside 25-35mm then no amount of clicker settings or oil weights will make it ride better.