Sign in to follow this  

KLX300 CDI wiring?

Hi all,

Does anyone in this forum have the wiring diagram (maybe in your service manuals) for the KLX300 CDI box?

I'm from the KLX250S forum over on KawasakiForums.com.

We're interested in swapping our detuned 250 CDI's with a KLX300...

Apparently it's done in Japan all the time, but we can't find an english wiring diagram.

Here's the threads over on kawi forums:

http://www.kawasakiforums.com/m_61921/tm.htm

http://www.kawasakiforums.com/m_56559/tm.htm

The best info we have so far is this...

First off, the stock connector has 13 wires or cavities. Out of that only 7 wires get used. The plug seems to be split into three sections. One with 8 pins, one with 4 and one with 2.

The KLX300 CDI seems to have 8 pins or wires (I'll assume wires). The sections are one with 3 wires , another with 3 wires, and the last with 2 wires.

Staring with the obvious and easiest. Connect the two wire section's wires together while matching the wire colors (I assume the symbols represent colors). Now the bottom wires of each 3 wire section match wire colors from the 8 pin stock connector. Using this logic you can determine which 3 wire section is which on the new CDI connector. Hook up those wires. By now you shold know if the postions matter and colors make sense, if they do then you can just hook up the last 3. If not then you should stop anyway to avoid the expensive smoke.

If I was in your situation, I would be very careful and do a LOT of research before doing this. It's well noted on other brands of bikes (CRF's, YZF's, etc.) that changing the ignition curve can definately affect engine life. The KLX300 already has valve issues (needing new intake valves every 3500-4000 miles). If you change out your ignition CDI, and if it revs higher or is too advanced, you might find yourself in that exact same spot. I'm all for tweaking the most out of these guys, but I wouldn't be doing that to my bike without seeing a lot of hard miles on someone elses bike who had done it first.

I'd suggest buying a manual. Have you checked to see if buykawasaki has different part #'s for the 2 CDI's?

Also, this... Anyone know Japanese? :thumbsup:

ign1.jpg

Ok, here we go.

Starting from the left colum working downward:

-Black and yellow wire on 8 pin connector to black and yellow wire on 3 pin black connector.

- Brown wire on 8 pin connector to white wire on 3 pin white colored connector.

-Blue wire on 8 pin connector to blue wire on 3 pin black colored connector.

-Black and red wire on 8 pin connector to black and red wire on 3 pin white colored connector.

-Black and white wire on 4 pin connector to grey wire on 3 pin white colored connector.

-Blue and yellow wire on 2 pin connector to blue and yello wire on 2 pin white colored connector.

-Green and white wire on 2 pin connector to green and white wire on 2 pin white colored connector.

Ththththats all folks. Thanks for the diagram! On as side note, this outlines going from a pre 2001 taking a CDI from a pre 01 KLX250 and installing it in the D-tracker. I hope the wiring for the KLX300 unit is the same, for your sake.