Sign in to follow this  

Replacement bars with SRC barkbusters?

The stock bars on my '00 XR400 are pretty bent up and I want to replace them with aluminum ones. It has SRC barkbusters on it and I can reinstall them only if I replace the bars with an identical bend, since the SRC parts bolt to the triple clamp and really have no adjustability.

I'm not 100% sure that I want the same bend, but if I decide to go this way, what aluminum bars will work?

Otherwise, I'm tempted to go with a fatbar and universal adapters. I wouldn't mind the bars being a bit higher. Sounds like the Renthal CR Low is the most popular.

I put on a set of "jimmy Button" Renthals. These gave me the extra height I wanted without having to bother about clamp adaptors for fat bars. I also cut off about 3/4 inch from each side because the newer bars were wider than the stock bars and the cabling was very tight without the cut. I prefer a narrower bar anyway.

Don't know if your old bark busters will still fit though.... maybe time for an upgrade of those too. Actually probably not such a bad idea since they sound like they have taken quite a beating (must have if your steel bars are bent), and might be past their use-by date by now.

Meatbomb......

.....With every aftermarket bolt-on that I have purchased for my bike I have had to do some type of mod to it. That's just how it is whether it's the quality of the finished product or it just will not fit. Have a look, the bash guards are "Cycra Pro's" with "Acerbis MX flags":the result of a rainy weekend.

.....As far as bends, I've seen more CR High and Jimmy's out there than any other. I chose the Pro Taper Contours mostly because of the design and not the fad. Without the cross bar they flex on hard impacts. I too have cut them down in regards to width for the same reason as meatbomb.