Bigger WR450 Gas Tanks

I bought an IMS tank for my 03 WR450 a couple of years ago. I installed it and saw just how close the right hand petcock was to the header pipe and got chicken, took it back off and sent it back to whoever I got it from and got my money back. Later on I ordered a GYT R 3.4 gallon tank, installed it and saw that there was more clearance between the petcock and the pipe. I have never heard of anyone having a problem with the IMS tank and the lack of clearance, it just looked too close for comfort for me.

Jim

My buddies bike has the IMS tank on his YZ450, and he did have some issues with the clearance between the petcock on the right side and the header pipe. Basically melted the rubber hose on him even though he took precautions to try to prevent that.

He ended up just plugging up the petcock on the right side of the tank and is only routing his fuel line from the left side of the tank. It's not a bad set-up that way. One way to look at it is that you have a 1/2 gallon reserve tank on the right side of your bike. ?

My buddies bike has the IMS tank on his YZ450, and he did have some issues with the clearance between the petcock on the right side and the header pipe. Basically melted the rubber hose on him even though he took precautions to try to prevent that.

He ended up just plugging up the petcock on the right side of the tank and is only routing his fuel line from the left side of the tank. It's not a bad set-up that way. One way to look at it is that you have a 1/2 gallon reserve tank on the right side of your bike. ?

I put the Acerbis YZ tank on my WR and did what this guy says - had a friend machine a plug for the right side petcock. I like the YZ tank and seat set up better and it has worked out great for me.

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/item.aspx?style=22181&department=758&division=7&WT.MC_ID=80003

I have a clear IMS tank and like it very much.

I had read all the posts here about how the Acerbis tank was better than the IMS but I found that the IMS suits me better.

The top is lower so you can sit more to the front of the bike.

The tank goes lower so when you want to race the bike the weight is lower.

I can not see this issue with the petcock to close to anything, all clearances in these bikes are tight anyway, or else they would weigh a ton.

ZipTy tanks are IMS.

GYTR tanks are Acerbis.

Look closly into this and make a decision that suits you.

Just got a Clarke tank for my 06 WR450 - Great people to talk with on the phone / had all the answers / they made me a black one & shipped it out the next day...

Fit just like stock - no mods - only complaint was the top finish was kinda rough looking..

well kind of. I had to make a bracket to hold the seat down and had to grind a little off the support bracket around the radiator hose. the big issue is the weight of all that gas- its heavy!

http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n273/johnnyjeep/55c4399e.jpg

http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n273/johnnyjeep/60629002.jpg

http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n273/johnnyjeep/60712002.jpg

The last one shows the bracket I made

John in Vegas

• 2 years later...

I have an IMS 3.1 for my 07, and the pet cock is on the left side' it fit like the stock one and is low like the stock one, actually a nice tank! I stayed away from the Clark because of high it sticks up. but in saying that, i have never tried one. I just thoght it might be an issue with the way I ride.

I have an IMS 3.1 for my 07, and the pet cock is on the left side' it fit like the stock one and is low like the stock one, actually a nice tank! I stayed away from the Clark because of high it sticks up. but in saying that, i have never tried one. I just thoght it might be an issue with the way I ride.

I did the same as you and really like that tank for the 07 and up. After I bought it, Clarke came out with their new tank for the 07 that does not require YZ shrouds and is a little bigger. Still, I think that while IMS may not go after the most capacity, in general they seem to go after as much capacity as they can while still keeping the fuel low and help facilitate rider movement. I will say though, that I have seen gas boil in an IMS tank for the earlier steel frame WR's. Not a very happy sight I must say.

I have the IMS tank in clear on my 2006 WR450

Perfect fit, left hand petcock only. No issues at all, in fact I got a replacement fuel cap seal (rubber insert) for free from IMS when the first one broke up on me from ham fisting it on too much.

No need for YZ shrouds or other monkey business, plenty of fuel for my style of riding, and as mentioned before lower CG than the Acerbis/Clarke tanks.

I had an IMS 3.1 on my '03 WR and it did boil the gas. Overall it was a very nice tank with better ergos for a more motocross forward riding style.

I've been on the fence about which way to go for my '08 WR. You can get an IMS in black now I believe. I've heard others say the Clarke is nice, but kinda rough finished. The 3.1 IMS to 3.3 Clarke is not enough extra capacity to sway me.

I've been on the fence about which way to go for my '08 WR. You can get an IMS in black now I believe. I've heard others say the Clarke is nice, but kinda rough finished. The 3.1 IMS to 3.3 Clarke is not enough extra capacity to sway me.

It's actually a 3.6 on the new Clarke. Design is similar to the IMS with a little more up top. Still, I have only seen people use the IMS tanks on the trail. Not that there is anything wrong with the Clarke, but kind of like restaurants, the ones with the best food usually have the most people in them. I know that many radiator guards fit the IMS, but would be worth double checking with Clarke for their tank. The pic does show a stabilizer so that should not be an issue.

http://www.clarkemfg.com/cgi-bin/miva?Merchant2/merchant.mv+Screen=PROD&Store_Code=CM&Product_Code=11487&Category_Code=Yamaha+WR-F