DRZ S muffler questions

I pulled the muffler outlet restrictor off the Girlfriend's 06 S model last night, and I have a question.

There is a baffle/restrictor about 2/3 the way down the muffler. Can this be removed easily (appears to be tack welded in), or holes drilled in it for additional flow? I was thinking of using a hole saw to enlarge the hole in the restrictor plate. I don't want to cut the muffler apart.

Are there any gains to be had from modding the stock mufflers?

If you drill five big holes in the middle baffle, it won't give you any power gains, but it will reduce excessive engine breaking.

I found it really made the bike a lot more ride-able on the kind of trails we ride in this area. Now when I back off the throttle, on a slimey trail, I don't have to worry so much about losing the back end of the bike.

?

I drilled the holes in the baffle and noticed absolutely nothing for performance gain or reduced back pressure when engine breaking. It didn't make it any louder either. I started with a few holes and ended up with a lot of holes and it made no difference. I ended up buying a used full system (Big Gun) and it made a big difference.

Maybe I'm a slow thinker for asking this question, will the billet end caps do anything for performance? just increase the exhuast noise? Don't care if it gets louder or not, just looking for some gains in power.

2006 DRZ 400s yellow ( the slower color )