Sign in to follow this  

Black Hills

Just got back from Sturgis bike week in the Black Hills. Took both my H-D and 06 400s. Milage report: H-D= 478 miles. DRZ= 898 miles. All the miles on the DRZ were jeep trails, logging roads, and forest service roads. I have never enjoyed motorcycling this much, and I have road now for 38 years. The Suzuki is stock, the ele. had the carb acting up at the higher ele. but other than that the bike performed flawless. Looking forward to a few mods, changed only the gearing so far, but still, what a great bike. Thanks for such a great forum, and all the info.---Chris.

I was in Sturgis last year and was thinking that a dual sport would be a lot of fun around there, and would stand out more than the rest of the chrome warriors that everyone else had.

I have taken my DRZ out there twice now. I want to get the clark tank specifically for the Black Hills. My S is geared 15/46 with 3X3, FCR and Yosh. Still has enough power out there but the altitude sucks away a lot of power for sure.

A lot of the logging trails turn in to pretty wicked uphill climbs and the trails just get narrower and narrower and then stop. I found acccess to a lot of trails/fire roads near Silver City.

I think the DRZ powerband worked real well out there.

The rock guards and bark busters become important out there too.

I rode a few trails / service roads around the silver area, very good. Next marks our 18th year at the rally, and proably will take just Dual sports. We had such a great time that I bought the wife a dr200-- she put almost 500 miles while there. Looking forward to next year!!

I loved the roads near Sturgis... sadly, I was out there during Sturgis so all the nice roads were plugged up with floorboard scrapers going 20mph in the curves. Of course, the half necked women made up for a lot of that grief.

One thing about out there, we were there for almost two and a half weeks, and can count on one hand how many people we met on the forest service roads we were on. Wasn't hard to find the crowds, but was sure easy to slip away. The scenery while road riding is some of the best this nation has to offer, but traveling the back roads is that much better. :thumbsup:

I've been out there during the rally three times. I doubt I'll bother again. I regret not getting to see the flat track races and I'll miss the demo rides. The demo rides got smaller every year I went though, and with the altitude it was hard to judge a bike's power anyway. I live in the twin cities and there are plenty of opportunities for nudity/booze here that I don't need to take time off work for and drive 10 hours to get to.

I try to go either in May/June or Sept/Oct or both. October you can get some snow.

I was out there in June and rode on 4-5 separate occasions for a couple of hours. Ran into some 4 wheelers once and some other guys on dual sports once. I tagged along with the other guys on dual sports for a little bit. They were all over 60 and good riders.

Glad you folks got to see the country side. My take on the rest: 15 tons of t-shirts for sale!