06 450 Carb Tips?

You have to remove the motor mounts. It's not that big of a deal. 5 bolts is all.

Yep, that's the best way, but make sure that you are only loosening the bolts, not the nuts that are nicely embedded into the brackets like I tried to do!? I was wondering why they were so tight!

Yep, that's the best way, but make sure that you are only loosening the bolts, not the nuts that are nicely embedded into the brackets like I tried to do!? I was wondering why they were so tight!

Good point. I held those with a wrench the first time I pulled the mounts off until I realized they were pressed into the mount. :ride:

Good point. I held those with a wrench the first time I pulled the mounts off until I realized they were pressed into the mount. :ride:

I'm glad I'm not the only one, but I actually got mine to turn a bit too! :applause::applause::applause: I'm not totally dumb though, 'cause I only made that mistake once! ?

The top motor mounts do NOT need to come off to take the top carb cover off, say for a needle adjustment. Comes off just fine without even loosening the mounts. No need to make extra work. Tdub

True. And you need to remove the hot start and unplug the white TPS cable plug (not from the carb!)to be able to twist the carb enough for jet access.

True. And you need to remove the hot start and unplug the white TPS cable plug (not from the carb!)to be able to twist the carb enough for jet access.

I usually just remove the motor mounts in the carb area and loosen the front and rear clamp on the carb and that is it.

The top motor mounts do NOT need to come off to take the top carb cover off, say for a needle adjustment. Comes off just fine without even loosening the mounts. No need to make extra work. Tdub

Good point! You only need to take the brackets off for getting to the bottom of the carb.

And you need to remove the hot start
Another good point, I forgot about that!

No technically you don't have to pull the mounts to get at the needle, but I think it's easier than trying to fish everything around the mounts. For main and pilot changes, I pull the float bowl plug, loosen the clamps and turn the carb as much as possible and can get at the jets with a 1/4" ratchet and long socket for the main and a small flat head for the pilot.

To adjust or replace the needle, all that is neccessary is to take off the seat and tank and then loosen the clamps on both ends of the carb, give er a little twist and that is it.

I managed to move those nuts just slightly too....thats funny, I thought I was the only one!