Sign in to follow this  

Ktm144sx Just Passing It On

Gene,

Sorry, but I spoke too soon. Under the current 2006 rulebook, the KTM 144 is not legal. Not because of a different stroke (the 2007 KTM 144 is a completely separate model from the KTM 125, they still offer a 125), but rather the rule that states that 144cc can only be achieved by boring a homologated 125. This issue will come up at AMA Congress and there is no guarantee that the bike will be legal in Amateur competition. Contrary to what KTM has said, they have not contacted the AMA about the KTM 144 being legal.

Ryan Holliday

AMA Sports Motocross Manager

American Motorcyclist Association

(614) 856-1900 ext. 1264

www.amadirectlink.com

It's still legal for Vet racers. And I'll bet it's fun as hell for anyone that isn't trying to compete in AMA events. Besides, KTM built their company by building oddball bikes that have no racing class. They'll sell every 144 that they can make, legal or not.

i thought it was simply the 125 motor with a 144 jug and piston. man this sucks. i love how ktm is so innovative and quick and then the AMA trys to kill that with beurocracy.

is their something im missing. what would be the difference between someone getting a 125sx bored to 144 and port and polished for that cylinder, and someone who just gets the 144sx. The WHOLE POINT of this new rule is to take the burden off the amatuer racers families who might not have the funds to upkeep and 250f. KTM making a 144sx for those same families simply furthers the AMAs original plan by helping the amatuer race families with a ready to race 144sx with dealership support. AMA has to learn to better realize when something furthers its cause or works against it.

is their something im missing. what would be the difference between someone getting a 125sx bored to 144 and port and polished for that cylinder, and someone who just gets the 144sx. The WHOLE POINT of this new rule is to take the burden off the amatuer racers families who might not have the funds to upkeep and 250f. KTM making a 144sx for those same families simply furthers the AMAs original plan by helping the amatuer race families with a ready to race 144sx with dealership support. AMA has to learn to better realize when something furthers its cause or works against it.

dont forget were talking about the AMA here.

The way the current rule is written, a 144 must start life as a factory-produced 125, and then become a 144 through increasing bore size only, no stroking. The KTM 144 did not start life as a 125, so it is illegal for any class other than age-based classes.

But, like I said, I'll bet KTM sells every single 144 that they make.

Right on! :thumbsup:

I don't get it. The rule was in effect BEFORE KTM released the model. The AMA had no idea KTM would release a 144 and KTm in doing so should have checked the legality of it before hand. Either way, come October when Congress rolls around, I am sure AMA will make the situation right. They can't and shouldn't change a rule mid season. Sometimes it is easy to bash from the outside when you don't fully understand the internal workings. Tdub

Sometimes it is easy to bash from the outside when you don't fully understand the internal workings. Tdub

Well, this is the AMA we're talking about. :thumbsup: Really though, the 144 even though it's bored and stroked, will not pull a 250F. It will still have a hard time keeping up. I think the AMA should limit two strokes once they become competetive again. Being nit-picky about legal mods and engine configurations is just going to kill them faster, but part of me feels like that's what they (AMA) want. And I don't see why changing a rule mid season is such a bad idea. RC and Team Suzuki did that with 50 grand last year. :ride:

Well, this is the AMA we're talking about. :thumbsup: Really though, the 144 even though it's bored and stroked, will not pull a 250F. It will still have a hard time keeping up. I think the AMA should limit two strokes once they become competetive again. Being nit-picky about legal mods and engine configurations is just going to kill them faster, but part of me feels like that's what they (AMA) want. And I don't see why changing a rule mid season is such a bad idea. RC and Team Suzuki did that with 50 grand last year. :ride:

Actually the 144 with a descent rider will keep right up with a 250f..

Actually the 144 with a descent rider will keep right up with a 250f..

I agree, I've started to see a lot more riders going back to the 2 stroke's, and yes they(144) will pull a 250f. I've been getting the same torque spec's from a modified 144 and a modified 250f, but at different peak rpm's. And from what I've seen here, 2 stroke's are coming back. :thumbsup::ride::applause::applause:

Gene

I agree, I've started to see a lot more riders going back to the 2 stroke's, and yes they(144) will pull a 250f. I've been getting the same torque spec's from a modified 144 and a modified 250f, but at different peak rpm's. And from what I've seen here, 2 stroke's are coming back. :thumbsup::applause::applause::applause:

Gene

ya i have seen alot more 2 stroke's back on the track, a good rider on a stock 125 can beat a OK rider on a 250f. i have seen bunch of kids beat 250F's on a stock 125's at the track i go to, and the 144 will be even essayer to beat 250F's. :ride:

soo.. to top it all off.. when, can i get a 144, how much, and can i race it in 125C next year???

The AMA should stick with their Toys for Tots rides on their oil dripping, constantly breaking Harleys and leave the SX/MX rules to people who actually sling a leg oner one occasionally.

Craigus

soo.. to top it all off.. when, can i get a 144, how much, and can i race it in 125C next year???

i called up a ktm dealer and the 144sx is going to be in the late fall/winter and its going to be about the same price that the 125 is (around $5500 OTD) and they had a 250sxf in the show room and it is $6400 OTD