Sign in to follow this  

Ktm144sx Just Passing It On

Gene,

Sorry, but I spoke too soon. Under the current 2006 rulebook, the KTM 144 is not legal. Not because of a different stroke (the 2007 KTM 144 is a completely separate model from the KTM 125, they still offer a 125), but rather the rule that states that 144cc can only be achieved by boring a homologated 125. This issue will come up at AMA Congress and there is no guarantee that the bike will be legal in Amateur competition. Contrary to what KTM has said, they have not contacted the AMA about the KTM 144 being legal.

Ryan Holliday

AMA Sports Motocross Manager

American Motorcyclist Association

(614) 856-1900 ext. 1264

www.amadirectlink.com

Well it would be nice if the AMA would allow it. It can only help the sport by attracting 2 stroke fans that feel they've lost any chance at being competitive against the bigger 4 strokes. I doubt it'll be be the bike that puts 2 stokes and 4 stokes on a completely level playing field but it's a step in the right direction. I can understand the AMA being picky about allowing it in pro racing but for armature racing they shouldn't even think twice. We all know with the right rider on it a 125 could smoke most guys riding 450's. I don't think the extra 19cc's are going to give anyone an unfair advantage no matter how the manufacturer gets them, whether it's from boring or stroking. The 144 sounds like a fun bike and I hope i get a chance to try one out some day.