Sign in to follow this  

02 drz400e jetting all stock

I hope Eddie will see this. I just bought this bike, it came from OR and I live in BC (Canada) but at a higher elevation. I was coming from a 99 yz400 and was dissapointed in the power in the drz in comparison. I wanted to get the drz running the best it could before I judged it though. I spent hrs reading on here and went though 19 pages of jetting on just the drz and have all kinds of different ideas as to what direction I should go. Please guide me oh jetting MASTER :applause: Now I have

02 drz400e

MJ 138

Pilot 65

fuel screw 1 1/4

needle is obdxp

4th clip position

stock pipe

removed snorkle

coast enricher untouched as I have yet to read about it or know how to unhook it

ride at 3000-7000 ft

I don't know what the other owner used for oil in the filter but it looks like tranny fluid to me. :applause: It all drained to the bottom of the filter. I cleaned that out and re-oiled. I removed the carb and it was coated in a sticky residue that I am guessing is from the oil that was on the air filter. I used carb cleaner to clean it all out. The reason I had removed the carb in the first place was because I was getting gas out of the overflow. After the cleaning it still is coming out but it is intermitent. I will go pull the carb again to see what the float is set at. From reading other posts from Eddie I will set at 13mm. Please guide me in the right direction. The bike starts right up with the choke and will idle when I kick it off but when I touch the throttle it wants to die. I bought it sight unseen and did ride if for about 10 min and noticed that when I got off the throttle it would hang there for about 5 seconds before dropping down to a good idle. That may have been caused by the sticky stuff in the carb. :ride::applause::thumbsup:

Thanks in advance!! :applause:

On the hanging idle thing, first check that there is slack in the cables, these twin cable deals will not work without some slack.

Sticky inside the carb that looks like tranny fluid sounds to me like the proper filter oil used in excess and not air dried before install. Probubly no harm other then messy but a situation I have heard of;

On the back/air filter side of the carb there as two jets where air comes in to go to the jet area as part of the siphoning system that makes the carb work.

If the engine is started with too much oil on the air filter that oil can plug one of those jets.

I would take some spray cleaner such as carb cleaner or brake clean and give those a squirt.

Gas out the overflow? Check and make certain that the "seat" of the floats needle & seat is not loose in the carb body? (it threads in). If that is OK check it and the needle for wear, if OK sounds like the float level is too high?

the float level on the fcr is 9mm not 13mm.

65 is the starter/choke jet not the pilot jet.

45 is the pilot jet.

move the needle clip to 5 and go to a 148 main jet. 1.25 is to lean for fuel screw.needs to be 2-2.5 turns.

the float level on the fcr is 9mm not 13mm.

65 is the starter/choke jet not the pilot jet.

45 is the pilot jet.

move the needle clip to 5 and go to a 148 main jet. 1.25 is to lean for fuel screw.needs to be 2-2.5 turns.

OK I have all that set now just as you had said but could not find a a 148 main jet localy here. All I could find is a 142 and a 160. If you had to chose would you go with the 142 or 160 untill I got the 148 ordered in? :thumbsup: If I went with the 142 could I go to the 6th clip on the needle to compensate a little? Thanks!!

142.stay needle clip 5.needle clip haqs no effect on main jet.

Ok I went with the 142 MJ and the float is set to 9mm needle clip in 5th from the top . It will start with the choke knob out. The idle is very high with the choke knob out. When I put it in the engine dies out. I would think this would mean plugged pilot jet but it is very clean. Now what should I be looking for? :thumbsup:

Yes the fuel screw is 2 1/2 turns.

When I blow into where the pilot jet with compressed air, where should it come out? It looks like something may be stuck in the end with the pilot jet out. :thumbsup:

you should be able to see thru the jet.

I guess I should explain better, All the jets have been out and you can see though them. Inside the thottle body you can see 3 holes on the bottom. The first small one from the filter side is for the fuel adjustment screw, the third big one is for the main jet but what is the second one? I am guessing it is for the pilot jet. Would that be right? If I shine a light in the main jet or fuel screw holes I can see light on the other side. but if I shine it through the pilot jet hole I can not see anything. I know there is a turn and I was hoping to see at least a little bit of light. If I shoot carb cleaner through the pilot jet hole from the bottom of the carb without the pilot jet in it seems to go to that second hole. It is a bit hard to tell though.

There was a bunch of rusty junk that made it into the carb from the bottom of the tank. The metal piece on the bottom of the tank cap was all rusted. I ended up taking out the shut-off valve and presure washing the tank out. Of course I let it dry good before putting everything back together. That is why I thought there might be something stuck in the pilot circuit. That plus the fact that as soon as I turned off the choke (enricher) it would die. It would idle fine before all of this happened. :thumbsup:

there 3 jet under the float bowl.

main jet,pilot jet and starter jet.

the pilot jet should be a 45 and in the deepest hole.you must removeit and clean it.

when you spray contact cleaner thru the pilot jet bore it should come out in the carb throat,out the pilto aur jet and out the fuel screw bore.

did you have the slide out of the carb?

t

there 3 jet under the float bowl.

main jet,pilot jet and starter jet.

the pilot jet should be a 45 and in the deepest hole.you must removeit and clean it.

when you spray contact cleaner thru the pilot jet bore it should come out in the carb throat,out the pilto aur jet and out the fuel screw bore.

did you have the slide out of the carb?

t

I took it apart again and sprayed contact cleaner thru the pilot jet bore and it does come out the fuel screw bore and the other small hole.

I did not take the slide out of the carb. Should I have?

ok I seem to have got it right this time I still did not see anything in the carb but cleaned it out again and it seems to work this time. :thumbsup: I just wanted to know why you asked me "did you have the slide out of the carb?" thanks very much for your help :ride: