Sign in to follow this  

Cambuckle VS Ratchet Tie Downs...which do you prefer?

For securing the bike in the bed of a truck, which type do you prefer. I assume the cambuckle does not get as tight as the ratchet. This would affect how much you would be able to depress the front of the bike (unless you sit on it while securing).

Ideas or suggestions?

For securing the bike in the bed of a truck, which type do you prefer. I assume the cambuckle does not get as tight as the ratchet. This would affect how much you would be able to depress the front of the bike (unless you sit on it while securing).

Ideas or suggestions?

Nothing is stronger than the ratchet style.

Nothing is stronger than the ratchet style.
true, but overkill for tying bikes down IMHO. Replace the open hooks on a set of regular tiedowns with soft-straps and caribiners and they can't possibly come off, no need to go crazy tight then.

true, but overkill for tying bikes down IMHO. Replace the open hooks on a set of regular tiedowns with soft-straps and caribiners and they can't possibly come off, no need to go crazy tight then.

I have had a couple of the cam style loose their tension quite quick - esp when they are left out in the weather at all - like rolling around in the back of a truck all year long :thumbsup:

I prefer the cambuckle variety. They work well and are much quicker than the ratcheting style. I would also highly recommend the soft strap style tie downs especially for bikes with fat bars.

I have had a couple of the cam style loose their tension quite quick - esp when they are left out in the weather at all - like rolling around in the back of a truck all year long :thumbsup:

The strap material of the ratcheting type will do the same thing.

Were the ones that you had that failed Ancra brand??

I use cam style straps and have never had a problem with them. I don't know why you would leave any strap in the back of your truck for a year to rot in the sun. Don't do that and I'm sure you'll be fine.

The strap material of the ratcheting type will do the same thing.

Were the ones that you had that failed Ancra brand??

No, not Ancra. I never took good care of them. They sat in back of my truck bed. Tension springs weaken with weather exposure.

The only "Cam" style brand I would trust is Ancra.

Plus the cam style are usually a shorter length that is eaiser to deal with (when dealing with bikes).

Now for strapping down other loads than bikes I think the ratchet type are the best.

I hate the ratchet style. Too cumbersome and hard to get released sometimes. Cambuckle works great for biokes.

I use cams, just tie off the lose end if you worry about it coming lose.

for small or light bikes, IE:motocross i use cam buckle, for my heavy street bike i use the ratcheting type, either way i use ANCRA only their definitely the best out there. i try to never leave them outside in the elements when not in use

i would be carefull with rachets. the problem is you can get them TOO tight. then they fray and snap. my buddies bike strap (rachet) broke on a 55 mph road. and if my bike wasnt there for his to fall on and stay leaning on he wouldnt have a bike right now. thats the last time we ever used rachets

The only "Cam" style brand I would trust is Ancra.

Plus the cam style are usually a shorter length that is eaiser to deal with (when dealing with bikes).

Now for strapping down other loads than bikes I think the ratchet type are the best.

I agree completely...