Sign in to follow this  

KL250 Sherpa advice

I am about to transfer a 2000 Sherpa KL250 into my name tomorrow and at the same time register it for the road. I found the bike in a local classified section and found it to be a decent deal. I have to really clean the bike though, since the owner only used it on off road trail rides. It has its share of scrapes and bumps but I thought it would be a perfect bike for me to get back into riding again since I ran quads and small bikes when I was younger.

One thing I want to do is pull off the low ride fender and replace it with a KLR fender. I would also like to do the basic to-do's on the bike. Oil n filter, grease and lube everything, polish and clean. Then I hope to just enjoy the bike with the fall riding coming up.

A few things I had questions with on the bike... The bike seemed to start fine when I looked at it, but then again the owner had it running prior to me getting there. What should I look for or what is the best way to start the bike cold? Also, should I store the bike after each ride with the fuel valve off?

The gold rims are ok, but I prefer the silver or chrome.. can I dip or paint these? maybe get them powder coated?

I have only found one solution to a temp gauge and it screwed on to the oil fill threads. Is there another solution that is easy and cheap?

Anything lese that anyone can think of that I should keep an eye on, please input.

Thanks

I have a Sherpa that I lowered for my wife to ride. Before I lowered it, I rode it around a lot. Excellent bike, for street or offroad. WAYYYY better fit and finish than my KLR250.

If you don't ride the bike often, use Stabil in the fuel all the time.

For cold starting, I just put on full choke. It should start right up. BTW the starter WILL turn over the motor WHILE THE KILL SWITCH IS SET TO "OFF", and it will never fire. I flattened the battery once because I missed this.

The fuel tap is vacuum operated. You can still turn it to "off" if you want, I never bothered.

The rims are anodized. There is no easy way to change the color in a durable manner. Either you get used to the gold, or you get new rims and have the wheels relaced. A lot of money for something not mechanically necessary. Besides, as the exhaust ages the stainless gets a gold color that eventually matches the rims.

When an air cooled bike overheats, it pings a lot. That's your temperature gauge. Don't spend a bunch of money unnecessarily. Spend the money on frequent oil changes instead.

The bike is jetted REALLY lean stock. Consider getting a jet kit, if the previous owner didn't already put one in. This will help with the cooling, as well as a bit of performance.

Enjoy the bike!

Hi, My wife's bike is a Super Sherpa it has been very reliable and has always started. After a few days of sitting it can get hard to start. I have learned two tricks. One is to place my thumb partially over the exhaust while I am cranking, the other is to use the prime setting on the fuel selector valve to get some gas in there. If my thumb thing dosen't work in a few seconds, I stop turn everything off and then try the prime thing. Keep in mind that the prime setting is for temporary use only. The first winter she had the bike I forgot to turn the fuel off and ended up with a gas spill on the floor. I have left the fuel on many times after that and never had a problem. I can also tell you that the Super Sherpa is more comfortable than my drz400s. I think you will be happy with it. rko

Yes, you will like the bike.

As mentioned, rejetting is a good idea. #20 pilot and #130 main is what you need.

Check the 1999-2003 SuperSherpa group over at yahoo. Lots of good info there also.

Assuming the Super Sherpa shares the same control switch/mirror mount setup as the KLR250, a design deficiency exists in the factory version.

The left mirror's vulnerable position likely will result in destruction of the

$ 100-plus control switch (lights, horn, turn signals) in the event of a fall.

A mirror mount adapter, replacing the clutch perch bracket, permits relocation of the mirror to a more protected space, saving the control switch from peril.

Don't know if this product is available from ThumperTalk; if so, moderators may delete the following links:

http://www.dual-star.com/index2/Brand/Kawasaki/klr%20650%20mirror%20mount.htm

http://www.4strokesonly.com/Products.html

(I see this product is available from ThumperTalk under Western Power Sports part # 569807.)

I'd recommend relocating the left-side mirror (the right one's pretty robustly mounted); also, folding rear-view mirrors (like the Ken Sean Mirror, Parts Unlimited part # 970510, available from ThumperTalk) are a good idea--fold 'em out of the way when you go off-road.

The Sherpa is way cold blooded. Full choke for start, and it takes a while to bleed it off. A simple way to richen the lower RPMs is to drill out the plug that covers the mixture screw, then seat the screw lightly (full in) then back off 2 turns. Or leave it alone & get used to it. Definitly +1 on watch out for the "off" switch on the bar, engine will crank but no spark. I'd leave the fender alone until you prove it to be a problem. Wheels can be paint or powder, but you have to unlace & relace then spokes.

This is a great bike!!

I picked up the Sherpa on Friday and rode it about 60 miles this weekend. The bike is very light and nimble with enough power for me to cruise local roads. I am not sure I would take it on the freeway or any road that the cruising speed is above 55.

After I washed the bike, I inspected some areas on the frame and tank that I will be touching up with paint. The plastics are faded and make the bike look older and with more miles than it really has. It runs strong and starts very easy. Warms up within a few minutes.

I have to lube the chain, change the oil, grease the fittings and remount the left mirror before I get it inspected this week. Also the bottom chain guard is broken off. I will remove the piece and hope I can find a replacement for it.

As far as the plastics go, is there any chemical that will restore the color and shine? The side fairings seem to be faded quite a bit from clothing rubbing and the sun looks like it has taken its toll as well.

Over-all the bike is exactly what I need and for the price I paid, I think I can deal with a little worn look until I give the bike some TLC. I picked it up for 1,500.00 and it is a 2000 with 2,700 miles on it.

Sherpahead, et al:

I stumbled onto Sherpas via this forum.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! How do I find the Sherpa group at Yahoo? I guess the Sherpa was never sold new in California (emissions issues?). I assume it is no longer sold new in the U.S.? 'Wonder if I could buy it (probably used) in Nevada, Arizona, Oregon, etc., and register it legally in California? 'Sounds like a great all-around EZ maintenance dual sport bike.