Sign in to follow this  

This Doesn't Work

I thought this may be helpfull to the people who will in the future need to replace the head on their 250X. I just had a local mechanic who claimed to have a fix for the 250X valve issue re-work my head, it's an 05 by the way. Being I have limited mechanical skills I paid him $700 to remove/replace the head, put Ferrea SS valves and springs in the intake side and recut the valve seats. I put an hour meter on it before I ran it and got about 25 hours out of it before the intakes closed up. I re-shimmed them and got about 3.5 more hours before they closed again. Needless to say this fix doesn't work. The mechanic I'm speaking of is Newman Motorsports in Loveland, CO. I have given the mechanic every chance possible to rectify the situation since he told me his fix would make the head bullet proof and I would never have to mess with it again. He won't do anything about it. Anyway hopefully anyone else who needs their head replaced in the future will go with Ron Hamp as I will, because it seems he is the only guy to have figured out a fix for this issue. By the way I'm not bashing this bike I love it and intend to fix it correctly. Brad.

I feel your pain! What am I saying? I have felt your pain, to the tune of $1,200.00. What ticks me off to the bitter end, is if Yamaha can build a YZ400F that lasted as long as the Honda XR's, then why would any of these manufacturers mess with a valve assembly that is suspect under the best of conditions. You could change your oils hourly and limit you bike to 25 mph and you will still be redoing the valves in a shorter than acceptable amount of time. All of the modern 4 strokes have a short life span, and that is a sad state of affairs. While we should all be posting what great reliability our bikes have and what we have done to make them run faster, here we are talking about the better fix to make the bike run like it should have when we plopped down our 6,000.00.

It just sucks that basically every other bike is a comprimise. We ride the best bike out there for woods riding, in my opinion. Now if we could only keep them running for a good couple years. Brad.