Sign in to follow this  

Newbie about to order DJ kit, please help...

Hi folks, it's my first post, been lurking a while here. :applause: Originally wanted to get a FCR-MX, but seeing the recent shortage, and my impending exhaust system change, will get a DJ kit to fill in the gap. The FCR can come later. Been reading quite a bit here, just need to confirm a few details before I punch in my order.

My setup:

At sea level

Stock 05 DRZSM

Stock Mikuni carb

Intend to do the 3x3 when the DJ kit arrives

Getting a "semi-open" (open with diffuser) full system fitted, that is street-legal (long story, stupid local regulations)

1. I should be getting the stage 2 (3110) kit, but where to find it on TT store? Is it this: TT kit listed on popular parts thread? Doesn't say too much in the description, gets me a bit nervous ordering.

2. I'll probably confirm this with Burned, but these are the recommended settings? (I'm at sea level)

SM

- 150 main jet (155mj for full exhaust system)

- 25 pilot jet (what's the TT part number? The one listed in the Official 3x3 thread is not valid anymore! Here? And which one?!)

- 2nd clip on needle from top

- 2.5 turns out on fuel screw

3. Apart from the the Keintech EFS and float bowl allen bolts, any other goodies for the carb I should get? Any issues with the Keintech EFS? Like stainless steel wearing out the Al carb body?

4. Weirdest question, where to get a replacement carb cover like the one below (nicked from bayoubikebruiser's excellent guide):

FANGjet9.jpg

My carb came with a TPS, and a tube (and actuator) that connects to the top cap (via a moulded tube in the cap). The sole purpose seems to be to reduce the slide lift (decreasing vacuum), not sure when. I've removed the whole thing altogether and there's a current hole (where the tube was), where I've plugged. Not an elegant solution, and I worry someday that plug will fall off. BBB's cap seems to come without that hole/tube. Anyone knows where I can get a replacement cap that's like his?

Thanks for your patience and reading! :ride::thumbsup::applause:

Update: the Doctor replied on the jetting!

yes,thats correct.

Guys, please help in identifying the part #s. I'm in the Far East, returning a wrong purchase would be a pain, thanks!

Somehow my workplace IT policy blocks the TT store website. Anyone knows of a drainable float bowl I can use with the stock Mikuni? Thanks in advance!

As far as I know the Far East models are the same as the UK and EU one's.

Good news for you, as you won't be needing the 25 pilot jet.

As for the top cap, I cut the spigot off mine and blocked the hole with a small bolt after tapping a suitable thread in it.

I also removed all the junk that goes with it, including the pair system.

PS: If you remove the solenoid control valve and all its hoses (don't forget to cap the connection to the air-boot) you will, in the future be able to re-jet without removing the carb, just spin it in the manifold.

Neil. :thumbsup::ride::applause:

It just so happens I have my completed order from a few weeks ago on hand.

PU_10070170 JET KIT SUZ DRZ400SM

INT_KIENTECH_DRZSFMS Kientech DRZ400S Extended Fuel Mixture Screw

INT_TT_DRZBLTKT Mikuni Float Bowl Bolt Kit - Suzuki DRZ400S

I did not order the 25 pilot, but got one locally from Suzuki in Australia using this part number 09492-25007.

You would probably get it cheaper from a local tuning workshop - or maybe from Mikuni. I believe it is N224.103-25.

Like Neil says, you don't need it, but I prefer to have my fuel screw in 2.5 ish, rather than 3.5 ish.

Cheers

As far as I know the Far East models are the same as the UK and EU one's.

Good news for you, as you won't be needing the 25 pilot jet.

As for the top cap, I cut the spigot off mine and blocked the hole with a small bolt after tapping a suitable thread in it.

I also removed all the junk that goes with it, including the pair system.

PS: If you remove the solenoid control valve and all its hoses (don't forget to cap the connection to the air-boot) you will, in the future be able to re-jet without removing the carb, just spin it in the manifold.

Neil. :ride::applause::applause:

Hi Neil, thanks for the tips! You mean I don't need the pilot 25 because the stock carb comes with that, or that there's enough tolerance in the stock jet? I'm kinda hopeless in terms of "tuning", dynobutt not that developed yet, so would prefer to keep to what's tested and proven. How many turns out you got on yours?

As for the carb cap mod, I think I'll pass. Again, I'm more than likely to :thumbsup: it up. If I can get a drop-in cap replacement without the spigot, I'd prefer that. Or maybe a rubber plug/cover that fits better? Maybe the caliper bleed nipple cover (maybe too small). Currently I got a length of rubber tubing on, with a bolt jammed in the open end.

It just so happens I have my completed order from a few weeks ago on hand.

PU_10070170 JET KIT SUZ DRZ400SM

INT_KIENTECH_DRZSFMS Kientech DRZ400S Extended Fuel Mixture Screw

INT_TT_DRZBLTKT Mikuni Float Bowl Bolt Kit - Suzuki DRZ400S

I did not order the 25 pilot, but got one locally from Suzuki in Australia using this part number 09492-25007.

You would probably get it cheaper from a local tuning workshop - or maybe from Mikuni. I believe it is N224.103-25.

Like Neil says, you don't need it, but I prefer to have my fuel screw in 2.5 ish, rather than 3.5 ish.

Cheers

Hi! You mean fuel screw out right? Bottom it out by screwing all in, then 2.5 turns out? Yes I guess I would too, heard some horror stories about the EFS falling out mid-ride from the vibrations when it's turned too far out. Problem where I am is that local parts support is horrendous! By the way, which jet here is one I can use? Thanks for the pointers on the TT #s!

EU and UK, and I assume all but USA/and some AUS models have a different size pilot air jet, this is a fixed jet.

It means that the bigger pilot jet is not needed, my fuel screw is 2 turns out.

And at two turns out, it will not come un-screwed.

If you check in the workshop manual for your model it will give the size of all the jets.

Neil. :thumbsup::ride::applause:

Hi guys, kit arrived, and I just got it installed at a mech's. One question, he didn't use the DJ clip on the DJ needle, but rather used the stock clip instead. Does it make any difference? Didn't get the opportunity of comparing both. Thanks!

Thanks for the speedy response Neil! Set my mind at ease. The spare little spring did come in useful though, stock one flew out of sight!