Sign in to follow this  

Deer Season & High Sierra Rides?

Deer season is quickly approaching. I spoke with an archer that said This Weekend starts Bow Season for bucks and he's going to the Ice House area for a week. Uh Oh, I've ridden there!

Now help me out gang. When are those pesky hunters going to be flooding them woods? :thumbsup: I would imagine they wouldn't take kindly to a super trapped thumper stirring things up. Not that it's me! :applause:

I just don't want to get shot! :applause:

I'm guessing I'll have to stick to those OHV parks for awhile. :ride: No more SSS for a bit. :applause:

I ride pretty far off the beaten path and rarely come across a hunter. The few I have wandered across never seemed all that interested in me. But my previous bike was a nice quite KLR and this one is a nice quite DRZ.

I ride pretty far off the beaten path and rarely come across a hunter. The few I have wandered across never seemed all that interested in me. But my previous bike was a nice quite KLR and this one is a nice quite DRZ.

I had quite an opposite experience a couple of years ago while riding during hunting season. Let's just say, they were very interested in me, to the point of, if better heads hadn't prevailed then bloodshed would've occured. I was relating that story to Slyko a couple of weeks back. He's scared! :thumbsup:

i am told by serious hunters that they are generally only out right at dawn and again at dusk. so i ride all day all through hunting season. during rifle season i'll see 1-2 hunters dressing a kill or packing it out, but i've never seen anyone actually still looking for something to shoot. of course maybe they're in their camo and hiding, lol.

at any rate, unless they're actively stalking something, and trying to get close for a shot, they should be happy to have you beating around in the woods scaring up game.

I hate riding when it's dear season. It feels like Deliverance :ride:

All these toothless camo guys, driving around on a quad or in the back of a truck, hoping to get lucky and find a deer when they are seeing double after drinking a case of beer. :thumbsup:

^^^^^^True true. Hunting season at Strawberry opens on Sept. 22 and my dad suggested I should ride between the hours of 11 am to about 4 pm if I didn't want to get shot at.

I was riding near Truckee last year and was riding down some super duper super sweet super secret singletrack, and when I came around a corner in the shadows I saw two small logs laying across the trail......I was about to wheelie over them when they moved. :thumbsup:

I turned out to be a bow hunter laying on his stomach with his legs across the trail.

I wouldn't worry too much during bow season, real bow hunters won't be hanging around roads and trails that are legal for us to ride on. Rifle season is another matter though. Like Velosapiens said, the real hunters are out real early and late, but CA is full of assclown road hunters too, and a lot of those Bozos are worth staying away from. Sept 23 is the opener of rifle season up Hwy 50 and Hwy 88 so we still have about a month of riding up there.

:applause: Well.............. ahhhhh............... thanks!?!?! :thumbsup::ride:

I'm not worried about the REAL hunters out there. It's the playboys that have me concerned. :applause:

I had one experience out at Georgetown last year. Riding the Rock Lobster I kept hearing this pow........... pow........... pow. Going down to the Deep Water Crossing it started getting pretty scary since it was getting louder.

Start climbing the other side and I see 5 or 6 Cambodians armed to the teeth with 8 or 9 rifles. They were smiling & waving a big stick at me with some HUGE squirrels on it.

Now why would anyone want to kill a squirrel???? Have you ever eaten squirel???? Do you make hats outa them??? :applause:Have you ever seen a stray dog, cat, squirrel...................... in San Francisco?

Needless to say.............. I got the hell outa there fast! :applause:

:applause: Well.............. ahhhhh............... thanks!?!?! :thumbsup::ride:

I'm not worried about the REAL hunters out there. It's the playboys that have me concerned. :applause:

That's why I said we have about a month til RIFLE SEASON opens! :applause:

Of course you're probably better off, and safer, sticking to the soccer field. :applause:

Now why would anyone want to kill a squirrel????

Tastes like chicken! :applause:

And all those hunters will be riding those huge, overweight, pathetic, utility quads!

During hunting season, I run several orange flags on my pole. :thumbsup:

Not me! On my DRZ with compound bow strapped on back! Quadtards can't get to the sweet spots and the cognac-sipping-bay-area-cabela-sporting-wanna-be's aren't going to hike where I can get that rock-crusher to go. It's just the the few first miles between point A and B that worries me. The big F***er is trying to ride OUT with 130lbs (if you're successful) on your back!!!!

That's why I said we have about a month til RIFLE SEASON opens! :ride:

Of course you're probably better off, and safer, sticking to the soccer field. :applause:

Tastes like chicken! :thumbsup:

Not true they were out in force at stony ford last weekend. Saw them and dudes that were hound hunting too... &%$#@!? bears? at stonyford??

In any case, real hunters do only come out at dawn and dusk.. but then again you don't have to worry much about real hunters.

:applause: Grizzly Flats goes nuts almost every year the first two weeks of rifle season just like OldeDude was talking about.When the bozos don't have any luck out in the woods they have been known to take a shot or two within the development which is sometimes where the bucks hang out.Last year there was an idiot in the national forest walking from his truck back toward my neighborhood raising up to shoot as I buzzed past on my 380.I turned around and told him there were houses close by in that direction,he just shrugged his shoulders and said "So?"I buzzed him a couple more times in the next 5 minutes or so after that and he finally left.When I mountain bike in the fall I like to stick antlers in my helmet and wear my deerskin jersey just to keep things fun! :ride::thumbsup:

My family and I have been hunting for years. Yes we hunt only in the early morning and early evening. I have actually on both sides of the fence when it comes to riders finding me and myself finding other hunters while I'm riding. My family has never had a problem with riders in the area we are hunting.....we actually let the whole group know that there might be riders before we even get in the field. I guess it boils down to how you were taught gun safety while in the field.

A bit off topic but.........when quail season comes around my bro and I are going to through a sling on our shoties and jump on our bikes and go find em!! Before you open the flame throwers.....they will not be loaded while we are riding. I guess in the long run we are cheating......as a kid I always remember being a mountain goat following my dad as we hiked ridge after ridge chassing those little bastards. This way I get to encorporate to hobbies! :thumbsup:

The true serious hunters only hunt in the early morn and evening, as thats when the deer are most likely to be traveling, unless the rut is in full swing, then all bets are off. :thumbsup:

I avoid angering hunters during deer season by riding some of the best groomed, virgin, and un-crowded turf there is-golf courses! :ride:

:applause:

Now why would anyone want to kill a squirrel???? Have you ever eaten squirel???? Do you make hats outa them??? :ride:Have you ever seen a stray dog, cat, squirrel...................... in San Francisco?

This month's Field and Stream has a detailed article on hunting, dressing and recipes for squirrels :applause:

I guess there are some places in America that eat rodents. :thumbsup:

hey slyko, we ride strawbeery during deer season. We just start a little later in the day. That way the hunters are drunk and their aim is piss poor so you have nothing to worry about. Hell, they arent gonna kill shit up there anyways. That place is sooooo over hunted

Rode in prime bow hunting area Sat. One camp was right at the end of the road where the trail starts. Just rode slow and waved when we went by. they waved back. Rode 23 miles of singletrack,didn't see one hunter out lookin for anything.