Sign in to follow this  

Suzuki DR650 model history

I've seen this site before, and I really like the 2000 and 2001 black/grey/red models. However, I have never seen a real one before... Does anyone know if they exist?

I never owned one, but I test rode one the same day I tested the DR650. It's a lot lower than the DR. Nice low speed handling with fatter tyres. Plastic is the breakable non bendy type. Much wider, more comfortable seat. Power seemed about the same, gearing seemed a little taller. Very similar to the SRV(?)660 sportsbike, but with electric start. Centrestand. Better light. Star trekky instrument panel which would be expensive to repair or replace. Longish travel suspension but it's not a trail bike, more of a quirky light tourer.

The example I tried had a tired clutch and notchy gearbox, so I bought the DR which had more miles but was much crisper. I've not been sorry.

(Wonder would the centrestand fit the DR?).

I've seen this site before, and I really like the 2000 and 2001 black/grey/red models. However, I have never seen a real one before... Does anyone know if they exist?

Yes, I own a black/silver model. They're real nice.

I also own a Freewind (Suzuki XF650) & it's a great bike.

They were available here in New Zealand from 1997 to 2003. It's basically Suzuki's answer to the BMW F650 and are popular in Europe.

The motor is same as DR650 with addition of twin carbs & bigger valves = more HP from XF than DR.

Their main limitation to off road work is the 19" front wheel & fancy plastics to damage.

For road work they are much more comfortable than a DR, with adjustable suspension & the mini fairing actually works well.

A mate has achieved major gains in power in his XF by simply opening up air box & fitting bigger jets.

Performance pipes were made but now hard to find - anyone here know where to get them?

Good to see another Kiwi on this forum mate, we're a bit few and far between! I'm in Wellington, where are you based?. For some reason the Americans miss out on some bike models, especially those sensational new watercooled big Yamaha thumpers, XT660's, the Motard version especially is to drool over (and 50 bhp @ the crank, Brembo brakes, Michelin tyres, the dog's bollocks............).BTW, Cycleworks in Lower Hutt will make up custom pipes for your Freewind. I got them to price up one for my DR but decided on the Jesse solution in the end with a FMF-Q which I'm very happy with. Cheers, Dave :thumbsup:

Gidday Dave

I'm in the mainland (Ashvagas).

Will watch mates progress with his XF mods, then probably follow suite.

Might also try opening up stock muffler, but they are heavy.

Only 40 freewind's were sold in NZ but I see there is one for sale up your way, on TradeMe.

You are right about the XT660 Motard, plus isn't there a new version similar to a VStrom?

Small world mate. My next door neighbours are from Ashburton and are coming over for dinner tonight and to watch the Rugby.... I looked at a Freewind but as I'm 6' 2" it wasn't really going to work, so the DR suited me better. I only ride on the road but I absolutely love it now it's modded, quite a slug as a stocker I'd have to say. I'm jealous of your roads/traffic/scenery down yonder mate, I did a 3000 km tour of the S.I with 3 friends from Colorado in Jan/Feb this year and it was out of this world...Only half a day of rain in 14 days which for a MC tour of the S.I must rate as a record! The yanks loved it and one of them said that if he had traffic free roads and scenery like this he'd be coming over on the Ferry every weekend with his mates to ride it...Now that's what I call keen! You're a very lucky man. Getting back to the XF, it looks from the pics that it has a DR type high pipe. Do you know whether it's the same pipe? If so you have a few options, FMF-Q2 probably being about the best. How do you go about jetting those twin carbs? Is there a DJ kit available?

What are your friends names? Ashburton is a small town....

You have some great roads up there too - I rode the Coro Loop a few weeks back. Was with another XF owner but used his GSX1200 & VX800

This week got to ride a DL650 VStrom around Otago Peninusla - another great bike but not really suited to off road.

Re the XF muffler - what is the part # for the DR pipe? If it's the same as XF then definatly more options.

Re jet kit - haven't seen any "off the shelf" kits. At this stage it's just trial & error.

Regards

Struan Moore

Brent & Michelle Thomas, he works for TransPower (late 30's?), anyway, Ashburton is quite small so you may know them? As far as part numbers go, I buy parts from the RonAyers site (which has numbers), but don't know whether his numbers are the same as the Suzi numbers. They are genuine Suzi parts so probably are, worth a look Struan. If no DJ kit for these carbs, you could raise the stock needles a tad with a small washer, and try bigger Mik jets (I'm running a Mik 155 vs stock BST40 of 140). Mik jets come in quarter sizes and all Suzi dealers stock them, so no worries there. Cheers for now, Dave.