Sign in to follow this  

Lights for a 50/70

I have recieved a lot of questions about my lights on my CRF-70.

My bike has a ligthing stator , you can get your stock one re-wound or install a Chinese one on a Honda Motor. Ricky Stator also has them for $69 + shipping

http://www.rickystator.com/pages/XR50stator.html

This stuff fits a 50 or a 70. I found the cost of a Baja kit to be excessive ( around $500) and comments in other threads about the cheap electrical switches in the Baja kit were also a negative to going that route. It was easier to make my own wiring harness and use quality off the shelf available parts.

I copied and pasted my response from the shock thread, some of you may have seen this already.

My original set of yellow headlights were a pair of foglights I had mounted on a plate I had on a 350-x 3 wheeler.They also fit across the top of the stock handlebars on the CRF-70

Recently I upgraded to DOT legal stuff

I got the DOT headlight and the Handlebar control switch from Dennis Kirk.

The headlight assembly is a UFO Ray/Ray model and matches the CRF red plastic perfectly. Dennis Kirk Part #: 211081. It was $55

The handlebar control switch was KS model Dennis Kirk Part #: 211388

and was $62, it has horn,turnsignal with cancel,kill switch, running,low and high beam headlight positions and is not cheap junk like some chinese electrical controls on my clone bikes.

The tailight/turnsignal assembly came from E-Bay seller Coloradokiteski ebay Item number: 4617338158. $45 shipped.

My horn is off of a Chinese CT-70 Clone bike but 12 volt horns can be bought anywhere for around $10-$15

I bought a new baja-designs battery pack off e-bay for $22 shipped

I cut the front number plate and mounted the horn behind it on the bolt that used to hold the plate to the center of the forks.

I made a license plate L bracket to mount on the underside of the rear fender, which broke after 500 miles so I will need to make a stronger one.

I made my own wiring harness and mounted the battery and the turnsignal relay behind the headlight.

My engine is a Zongshen 125cc and it already had a lighting stator.

If you use a Honda engine you will need a lighting stator also.http://www.rickystator.com/pages/XR50stator.html

I bought Kenda 760 dot knobbies for it, and I also have a set of off road K770 knobbies.

The mirror is from EMGO -Pro-Sport Mirrors

part number 297-2027 Fits all 10mm mirror mounts Left and Right side mirrors in the package. Cost $8.99

I have not permanently mounted my front turn signals yet.

I have yet to mount the brakelight switches. I need to weld a small bracket for the brake pedal stoplamp switch and find a suitable front brake lever perch with an integrated stoplight switch and mirror mount.

I have also not figured out what to do about a permanent speedometer. I have a trail-tech off of my old warrior ATV.

You could also rob some of this stuff off a junk street or enduro motorcycle.

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/punisherjbracing/detail?.dir=e26e&.dnm=bfcfre2.jpg&.src=ph

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/punisherjbracing/detail?.dir=e26e&.dnm=f32are2.jpg&.src=ph

Good write up. I wish I had lighting on my Z50R. It has almost everything else. (no mud yet)

8-1-2006001.jpg

8-1-2006006.jpg

The odometer says like 7 miles in this picture. I've put on about 95 since the picture was taken. (101.47)

Good write up. I wish I had lighting on my Z50R. It has almost everything else. (no mud yet)

8-1-2006001.jpg

8-1-2006006.jpg

The odometer says like 7 miles in this picture. I've put on about 95 since the picture was taken. (101.47)

I have one of those speedos on my XR70, the Z50R and on the Z50. They work pretty slick!!

So umm.....

how fast have you had that little beast up to? :thumbsup:

43.2 according to the GPS on flat ground. Down a hill I got 44.0 according to the speedometer. Stock gearing with the only engine mad being the TB manual clutch.

43.2 according to the GPS on flat ground. Down a hill I got 44.0 according to the speedometer. Stock gearing with the only engine mad being the TB manual clutch.

Rats!! The best my [all stock] little 84' Z50R can muster on flat ground is 34.4mph with my GPS [34.8 on the speedo] :ride:

Very impressive!! :thumbsup:

I have one of those speedos on my XR70, the Z50R and on the Z50. They work pretty slick!!

So umm.....

how fast have you had that little beast up to? :thumbsup:

What kind of speedometer/odometer is that?

Where did you guys get one and how much was it?

Nice looking compact unit

It's a bicycle speedometer. You can see a write-up on this other forum.

http://www.planetminis.com/z50-ct70-and-monkeybikes-talk/33786-rear-rack-and-speedometer.htm

I've been using them for about 4 years now. If I'm careful on scrubby trails so that the wire going to the pickup doesn't get snagged on anything, I find they will last for a long time. I tried using the wireless one but ummmm.....I discovered that as soon as the engine is started, the bike ignition disrupts the signal sent from the pickup/sending unit to the speedo and therefore making the speedo completely useless except if I wanted to see how fast I could push my bike :thumbsup:

What I did to protect the wire was cut a piece of fuel line lengthwise and wrap it around the pickup wire. Then I zip-tied it to the swingarm.

zz001.jpg

While looking through the rest of your album, I noticed a 60's Mustang in the backround. What year is it and do you have any more pictures of it?

51efre2.jpg

Man, that rocks! Do you know if the 50/70 stator is the same?

Thanks!

yep, sure is...same basic concept

What I did to protect the wire was cut a piece of fuel line lengthwise and wrap it around the pickup wire. Then I zip-tied it to the swingarm.

zz001.jpg

Very wise! :thumbsup:

I have a old CT-70 frame I will be cutting off the stoplight switch mount and welding it to my CRF-70 Frame. I also will be installing my front signals this week hopefully.