Sign in to follow this  

What are the weak points on 2nd gen rangers?

I'm looking at a 97 ranger (I think that's 2nd gen but w/e) that I can get a really good deal on. it has 110K miles. It's the 4 banger with 5 speed tranny. He has done a lot of work on it (nice little prerunner/ DD)

So what should I be expecting to fix doen the road? Original tranny, says motor was just tuned up and runs perfectly. I know these trucks are practically bulletproof but something has to give eventually.

:thumbsup:

The heater valve will sometimes leak, need to be replaced. I put 2 on my '97 Ranger so far (just a $20 dollar part). You won't have to worry about that though because I bet you never use Heat out in California. Other than that, nothing at all wrong with my '97, I have 200,000 Miles on it (exactly...199,890). Run's GREAT, been through soo much stuff, and runs all the time. I have the V6 2x4 though, not the 4-Banger. I remember reading on a site about all the Ranger years, the Cons and Pro's, I forget the site, but on the '97 all I remember is the Heater Valve, and it's all I had go on me. Oh, and blew a fuse for my Horn...but that happens.

I know people with Rangers that have 400,000+ miles, still orginal tranny and everything, running strong. :thumbsup:

I bought the Ranger for $500, the body, and interior is pretty nice, a few scratches on the paint, but no rust, no deep scratches, no dents, and the interior is new, the guy I bought it from had seat covers on so the seats are new too. I like my Ranger a lot, gets great gas mileage, and runs awesome all the time. All I did was put some new tires on it, CD player, and that's it.

Most of these miles are CITY stop and go traffic in Detroit, very few Highway.

Another one to look at is the hubs-if it has the pulse vacuum hubs, they fail like clockwork, many that intend on keeping them replace them with the constant engagement hubs, but this requires replacing the entire spindle.

the ranger should be great. i've heard rumors that things were supposed to start going out at 100k on them, but never actually experienced that or known anyone to. i also have a 97 4cyl 5 speed. i love it. got it when i was 16 with 50k on it and now i'm 20 and have 101k on it. there has not been a day when it hasn't started. i'm serious. never broken down. nothing. and i drive the sh*t out of the poor thing. still has original clutch. the only thing i have replaced is the battery. honestly is a great truck. the only complaint is it is kind of small on the inside and it's not too fast.

and the pre runner thing is sweet. i want to pick up another one to do that to it. but herte's a pic of mine. not quite a pre runner. just a little lowrider.

http://www.putfile.com/pic.php?img=2758906

Barch88, you have been a member here for 3 to 4 months and you have 1800+ post? Wow, we call that a "post whore" averaging over 16 every day! :applause: Just notice that. :ride:

Yeah I know, I gave up on all my other fourms, so this is the only one I go to now, so I tend to post a lot at night. It will be all stopping soon though, back to school, back to work, then off to college. I moved up north from Detroit just a month ago, so I don't know anyone and been bored really, so the Internet is all I got for now. :thumbsup: All the friends and memories are 6 hours away. Oh well, there gone next year anyways so...

The Mazda 5-speed tranny is an area of concern too. The rubber plugs can rot out over time and when the do the tranny will leak fluid when you are driving and you wont even be aware of it if you dont check the tranny fluid level often. A lot of people have burnt-up those Mazda 5-speeds that way. You can replace the rubber plugs with metal ones and fix the problem.

The Mazda 5-speed tranny is an area of concern too. The rubber plugs can rot out over time and when the do the tranny will leak fluid when you are driving and you wont even be aware of it if you dont check the tranny fluid level often. A lot of people have burnt-up those Mazda 5-speeds that way. You can replace the rubber plugs with metal ones and fix the problem.

Exactly what I was going to add. See it all the time at work. Burns up the input and countershaft, if nto more. They also have CRAPPY hydraulics, and when they go out they are a PITA to bleed up.

http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/shift_rail_plug_maintenance.htm

Part numbers are Dorman cup plug PN# 555-108 or Dana PN# 219-3052.

Another one to look at is the hubs-if it has the pulse vacuum hubs, they fail like clockwork, many that intend on keeping them replace them with the constant engagement hubs, but this requires replacing the entire spindle.

I'd assume it's a 2wd (cause it's a 4-banger) so he won't have to worry about hubs. But anyways, the PVH hubs didn't start until 98 (went from TTB to SLA/torsion bar front suspension).

But for anyone that does have auto hubs on a pre-98 Ranger, look here

I'm looking at a 97 ranger (I think that's 2nd gen but w/e) that I can get a really good deal on. it has 110K miles. It's the 4 banger with 5 speed tranny. He has done a lot of work on it (nice little prerunner/ DD)

So what should I be expecting to fix doen the road? Original tranny, says motor was just tuned up and runs perfectly. I know these trucks are practically bulletproof but something has to give eventually.

:thumbsup:

None.

Drive it like you stole it.

So basically, the motor is solid, the tranny is solid, and the wheels wont fall off. Thats all I needed to know. Thanks guys.

I've had a number of 4 cylinder Rangers. Only issue is the cam timing belt. They go like clockwork at between 50-60k miles. No damage to the engine if it goes, just does not run. U-joints are also an item that tend to go on a regular basis. Otherwise I super good luck with mine.

how are the pre 98 4-bangers as far as power? i to am looking to buy a 96 or newer ranger. i plan on lifting it and wouldnt be running tires larger than 31x10.5. and i would be re-gearing before too long after lifting and tires. i just wanted to see if it has any "power to spare" stock, or if it cant even get out of its own way.

thanks

i just wanted to see if it has any "power to spare" stock, or if it cant even get out of its own way.

I had a 2 wheel drive 94 Ranger with the 4 cylinder. Great little truck that couldn't get out of its way if it had to.

hmmmm, well then. i was hoping to not have to get a 6cyl for fuel economy. but when i lift it and whatnot it will need the power. anyone have a clue on what a 3.0L v6 gets as far as mileage?

hmmmm, well then. i was hoping to not have to get a 6cyl for fuel economy. but when i lift it and whatnot it will need the power. anyone have a clue on what a 3.0L v6 gets as far as mileage?

See, that's the thing. The 3.0 gets the same fuel economy as the 4.0. So you are better off getting the 4.0 with much more torque.

Expect around 16mpg with a 2WD.