Sign in to follow this  

how bad did i mess up

hey guys how bad did i screw up? i was tring to help my mom out and put a new car battery in her 2000 jeep wrangler, well i was in a rush and connected the positve wire to the negitive and vise versa.... the positive wire started to smoke so i removed it quickly,only on for 4-5 seconds. i swicthed the wires into the correct position and it started right up...only thing is the gauges and radio dont work. did i blow a fuse or do somethig wors? thanks for your help

Fuse, Fuse, fuse - probably more than one.

ditto

how do i know which fuses went bad? and can i get them at the local auto part store?

I think at this point you should stop before someone gets hurt. Take it to a pro ad ask him to tell you exactly what happened. Listen and learn.

Most likely blew a few fuses. If you know where the fuse box is, its time to start pulling fuses and checking to see if they are blown or not. Its hard for me to describe a blown one, but I'll see if I can find a few pics. Remember, if you need to replace a 25 amp ( think its amp ) fuse, you need to use a 25 amp fuse. You can get these a lot of places. Auto parts stores, hard ware stores, etc. Good luck.