Sign in to follow this  

atten: motorcycle techies

My 03 WR has over 10,000 miles on it. I have noticed lately it seems to be burning some oil. I am planning on opening it up and replacing the rings in it. Any suggestions on what else to replace? I change oil regularly and have checked the valves often (they are still in spec.) I was thinking of maybe doing the bearings and cam chain as well. I want to be able to get another 10,000 problem free miles out of it. Anything to change or replace in the tranny?

As long as you doing a major tear down I personally would replace the internal bearings,and inspect the trans, and double check everything to ensure it is in spec.

I'd replace the valve springs, cam chain and piston/rings.

I can not stress how much quality, precision instruments are when checking to see if everything is in spec. I did a valve job myself, and because my caliper was not accurate, my head gasket blew, and coolant got all throughout my cases. Do not cheap out on your equipment, or you will pay for it later.

Valves, valve guides, buckets, good seat cutting, springs, piston, rings, crank rebuild, crank bearings, whatever other bearings need replacing, cam chain, guides.