Sign in to follow this  

squeaky front break??

have a slight squeak from the front brake on my 01 drz s witch seems to be happening a little more of late.....time to change the pad?...dont want to screw of the new 320 rotor.. not to mechanicly inclinded can i do it myself. wondering where to get one if anybody knows :thumbsup:

Most pads have a wear groove in them you can sometimes see the pads in the caliper without removing anything. No groove time to change pads they are usally held in with a pin and a clip and can be changed relatively easily with a small drift and a gentle tap to push the in out. Dpending on how much riding you do and how hard you are on the brakes the pads usally last a while. If you can't see the pads undo the two securing bolts and pull the caliper out (leave the hose banjo bolt alone). To get it out off the disk between the rim it may require a bit manouvering and possibly twising the caliper against the disk to pry the pistions back. Once you have it off you should be able to see the pads. Occasionally what also happens is a build up of brake dust behind the pad and where the pistion sits causes a bit of squeeling. Simply wash them out with soapy water rinse thoroughly and allow to dry. There are various brake cleaners on the market but read the directions pretty carefully as it pretty nasty stuff and usally eats things like tyres plastics and skin.

NB to refit the caliper its probally easiest to pry the pistions right back with a large flat bladed screwdriver or similar. After refitting the caliper and securingthe bolts most bike manufactures had torque specifations in the back of the owners manual if you want to be extra anal.

This is very important you will need to pump the front brake leaver a number of times to work the pistions back against the disk otherwise the leaver will come back the the bars with no effect the first time you use it.

Otherwise just about any bike shop should be able to do it for you.