2006 TE-250 owners. Motor concerns.

I just got my 2006 TE-250 back from the Husky shop. The piston rings wore out (33 hours) and ruined the piston and cylinder. Husky covered it under warranty. But talking to the tech he said that they have had this problem on other 06 TE-250s assembled during a certain time span. I don't know what dates. The oil gallery holes in the piston ring groves are not drilled large enough and oil doesn't lube the rings properly. The bike ran OK up until a point it stalled and would not start. It never did seize but would have. I would do a compression leak down test on any 2006 TE-250 and keep an eye on it.

GP

But talking to the tech he said that they have had this problem on other 06 TE-250s assembled during a certain time span. I don't know what dates.

GP

It may be helpful to other owners if you post the last few digits of your bikes s/n.

It may be helpful to other owners if you post the last few digits of your bikes s/n.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXX013

Maybe I just got lucky number 13. Don't know if you can drill them out. I would ask the Husky techs as they are aware of the problem. Some companies don't make problems public and risk bad publicity. They just wait to see how many claims they have.

I rode it to work today and the repairs they did were fine. I had missed cutting though the Industrial park and rolling down the stairs to cut off a couple of miles. Can't do that in the rolling cage. I must say the dealer stepped up and took care of business as needed. The tech at Moto Forza deserves praise for the job he did. He was insightful and pleasant to deal with. I want to point that out as there are so many who don't give a crap about customers anymore. At least in Southern Calif.

GP

I just got my 2006 TE-250 back from the Husky shop. The piston rings wore out (33 hours) and ruined the piston and cylinder. Husky covered it under warranty. But talking to the tech he said that they have had this problem on other 06 TE-250s assembled during a certain time span. I don't know what dates. The oil gallery holes in the piston ring groves are not drilled large enough and oil doesn't lube the rings properly. The bike ran OK up until a point it stalled and would not start. It never did seize but would have. I would do a compression leak down test on any 2006 TE-250 and keep an eye on it.

GP

Just curious................

Who EXACTLY was it that explained "Rings were lubricated via the Holes in the Groove"

Just curious................

Who EXACTLY was it that explained "Rings were lubricated via the Holes in the Groove"

OIL RING GROOVE

A groove cut into the piston around its circumference, at the bottom of the ring belt or at the lower end of piston skirt. Oil ring grooves are usually wider than compression ring grooves and generally have holes or slots through the bottom of the groove for oil drainage to the interior of the piston.

I re-read my post and in haste I did post incorrect information. Yes the oil is sprayed on to the cylinder and wiped off by the oil control ring. Not the other way around as I posted. But the holes were drilled too small and from what the tech showed me and explained the oil did not drain properly and the oil control ring (not the compression rings) started depositing material on cylinder wall and the motor lost compression. Maybe the excess oil bulged out the ring when it got hot and expanded. That I do not know. Thanks for catching that.

GP

Double O Six reporting in! Still smokes for the 1st couple of minutes with 450 miles on the motor!

Oh my god you are "The Prisoner"!!! (old TV show) - So who is #1, the guy in charge your prison? For that matter who is #2?

GP - all kidding aside - did you bike smoke when you first started it up? Mine did for about 150 miles but does not anymore even after sitting all summer (#228).

"GP - all kidding aside - did you bike smoke when you first started it up? Mine did for about 150 miles but does not anymore even after sitting all summer (#228)."

The bike never really smoked badly. Maybe a little bit the first 3 hours. But I ran it extremely hard the next 30 hours from sea level in the hot desert to about 8000 feet in the snow. It never missed a beat. A little hesitation when you snap the throttle on and a tiny bit rich at full throttle. But I am going to install a jetting kit when its desert season and I am riding my two stroke.

GP

P.S. How do you do the quotes in the high-lighted box? I don't know how and every time I do quote someone I look like the idiot I am.

P.S. How do you do the quotes in the high-lighted box? I don't know how and every time I do quote someone I look like the idiot I am.
In the lower right hand corner of every post are 3 boxes/links - reply, quote, and quick reply - click "quote".

Probably no relationship between smoking on start up and your issue it seems.