Sign in to follow this  

Stupid Chain Lube Question

Just got back into riding after an 11 year vacation! I bought a can of Bel Ray chain lube and it flips stuff all over my bike (clear on the rear of the front fender). The chain is cleaner then :thumbsup: too, so it is not flipping off old gunk. Has anyone had better luck with other lubes?

Thanks...

i use Castrol chain wax. It is non fling. If you have an O or an X ring chain there is no need to lube anyway, i just do it when i am in the mood, infact some will argue that using a lube will only attract and retain dirt to the chain causing abrasion, so a squirt of WD40 is all you need with both O and X rings :thumbsup:

i use Castrol chain wax. It is non fling. If you have an O or an X ring chain there is no need to lube anyway, i just do it when i am in the mood, infact some will argue that using a lube will only attract and retain dirt to the chain causing abrasion, so a squirt of WD40 is all you need with both O and X rings :thumbsup:

I am going to buy a chain tonight, your telling me that there are chains that you don't have to lube? Is that a joke? Come on!!!

Thanks...

an o ring chain has all the lube trapped inside it. you can lube the external surface of the chain if it makes you feel better. a squirt of WD40 every now and again will keep it from rusting. I have run o ring chains lubed and unlubed and never notice them to last longer one way or the other. I don't know if it matters but I run steel sprockets and don't know if it would matter useing lube on an aluminum one.

Is this for real? Are they strong? I would love to buy a chain that I did not have to squirt lube on!!! That stuff flips all over my bike!!!

This seems too good to be true!!! Not saying I don't believe, but can more people confirm please as I am an idiot!!! :thumbsup:

Thanks...

Is this for real? Are they strong? I would love to buy a chain that I did not have to squirt lube on!!! That stuff flips all over my bike!!!

This seems too good to be true!!! Not saying I don't believe, but can more people confirm please as I am an idiot!!! :thumbsup:

Thanks...

Hmm idk if you don't need to lube the o or x ring chains. I always lube my o ring chain, just for peace of mind. Its like the question "Is it okay to shift with out the clutch?" kind of thing. You will always get two different answers.

Thanks...

I've heard arguments that O and X-ring chains don't need lube, and I tend to agree with them.

If you have lube flinging off your chain, you're just using too much lube. That's all :thumbsup:

For a non o-ring chain, Liquid Performance chain lube is great. It goes on wet, dries in just a few minutes, and contains moly which is an excellent dry film lube.

In my opinion, o-ring chains do need to be lubed but not for the same reasons as a non oring chain. The o-rings themselves need a little attention (lube) to keep them from drying out and cracking. A very light coat of chain wax or any type of chain lube that doesn't attract excess dirt and dust will work fine. Once an o-ring is damaged, the lube is soon gone and dust and dirt will take it's place. The rollers need to be lubed as well since they are not sealed by the o-rings.

If you ride trails an o-ring chain may be the best choice. For MX, a non o-ring chain will work fine providing you keep it lubed. Each time I come off the track for a break I will shoot a little lube on the chain. Both types of chains need regular cleaning and maintenance if you expect to get good life out of them.

yeah but have you guys used bel ray. I bought that stuff like 3 years ago and I remember it was junk so I took it back.

yeah but have you guys used bel ray. I bought that stuff like 3 years ago and I remember it was junk so I took it back.

I hate mine, anyone want a brand new, used once can of Super Clean- Bel Ray crap? It's TRASH...it makes the chain all white and junk looking. I bought this stuff from my Yamaha dealer, forget what it is called off the top of my head...but it like foams when you spray it, then absorbs into the chain...works awesome!

I brush on heavy oil every 2 or 3 rides...90 weight, from the inside..out so when some flings off it goes through the chain...Its works ..its cheap..and the spray can doesnt contribute to global cooling..