Sign in to follow this  

Still crooked even with new bars

My kid dropped his 70 and I replaced the bars with new ones. He has done it before but this time it was really bad as he was going fast and dropped it on a tree root.

After getting everything back together it was clear that even with the new bars things were still crooked. What else needs to be replaced, and where can I get it from? I tried moving the bar clamps under neath the bars as they appear to be crooked. But the bars will only go on with the clamp in one position and that causes them to be crooked.

That happened with my Z50R. Only I got the front wheel stuck in a hole at speed and and stayed on the bike. (Ow!) What happened with mine was the bottom clamp thing twisted which sets the fork legs off from parallel. On a Z50R, however, the bottom clamp is really just a piece of sheetmetal so bendin it back is easy. But if you get it done on your XR, you'll have a happy son again.

That's what I was getting at also. I know I can bend them back on my bike, not sure on the XR70, they have much beefier clamps.

loose\n up the bolts for the bottom tripple clamps, as well as the ones on the top clamp and bar mounts. wiggle it around until it looks straight, and tighten it back up.