Sign in to follow this  

DRZ400SM, Husky SM, or Aprilia?

OK, ive been riding sence i was 5 years old.....and im finally turning 16 and ready to get my licence.....

Ive been looking at all the supermotards and im wondering what poeple think of there DRZ's, Husky's, or Aprilia SVX Supermoto's,

I was thinking of a DRZ400SM, and maby put a jet kit and yoshi pipe on it, cause i wanta get a lota power out of it, but i think with a husky SM450, 510 or 610 I wont need the extra power...???? (Anyone no the HP of the new aprilia 450 or 550?)

Also, anyone having problems with the Husqvarna SM450/510 oil capacity? And ive heard they spit and sputter under half throttle??

Thanx, Ty

The obious question is what do you want to do with it ride it on the street, race bit of both race only. The new aprilia's run at about 50-55hp for the 450 and just under 70 for the 550. They might be a bit of a handful for the street especailly if youa re only learning to deal with traffic they are all out to get you!

I really like my Husky, and don't have any jetting problems with it! I haven't had a chance to ride a DRZ but unless you are going to do track riding/racing I don't recomend Husky. I would go with the Suzuki. I'm sure its a great bike and can still handle a few track days too!

I have a DR-Z, well, its actually a KLX 400, but same chassis, engine and all that good Jazz. love it to death, huge aftermarket selection very good road manners (even tho I'm currently running knobbies on it) and good ol' eddie (TT jetting expert), can help you make over 60hp with the thing, like he did with his. so if you into up grading thats the one. on the otherhand, I did ride a 610 husky and was blown out of the water. so if your looking for a bad ass machine, I'd be looking hard at that one. havent heard anything about the aprilla, but I may go check one out now that you got the ball rolling...

thanks

Gonna have to say get the DRZ, preferably a plate off-road model if thats available in your area. The purchase cost and low maintenance make it lots more student friendly. Plus it'll make as much power as your likely to need for the next several years.

Grant

i've ridden both a drz and a husky... if you want performance, get a husky. if you want a bike that doesn't need as much maintenance, get the suzi. also, i believe the drz is about 40 pounds heavier and is a little taller at the seat. supposedly, husky has good parts availability now, but i've yet to find out...only got 500 miles on my smr 510 so far. but that bike is a riot on the street...hard not to act like a hooligan on it.

I've got a 510 Husky that has only been track ridden so far. It's a fabulous bike that tromps all over a DRZ. But having said that it'll take more work to keep it moving.

Also if you mod the DRZ to put out Husky like power then it'll be as "fragile" as the Husky.

Frankly at 16 if you get a DRZ you stand a chance, limited though it is, of keeping your license to your 17th birthday. But if you get a Husky, KTM or Aprilia I foresee lots of police stops and a lost license in short order since you say you want "lots power".

Besides, by the time a DRZ makes Husky/KTM levels of power the bike will have cost you the same as a Husky/KTM option in the first place.

So if you think you can hold yourself back then get the fancy Euro bike right off the bat and CAREFULLY pick and choose where you play hard. But if you know that you're weak and will blast around whereever you go then get a DRZ and leave it unmodified and ride the crap out of it.

I know it isn't what you think you need but somewhere down the road you'll find out that it's far more fun to ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow. And it's a FRIKKEN BUCKET LOAD SAFER to ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike fast. Adrenaline is fun but you're a bit young to go and bust a lot of bones just because you think chicks dig scars only to find out that when you're 40 that all those broken bones really mess up your retirement options.

PS: I'm 53. I've been road racing an old Honda 600 for 5 years and got the Husky last year on a whim. I'm slow compared to the racers but I'm fast by street rider standards. I'm having a blast but ride with a little in reserve so I don't fall often. Just so you have a frame of reference.

My suggestion is that if you crave that power so highly then get something mild and cheap for the street and save the Husky or whatever for track duty and take up racing.

Buy The Drz,there Bullet Proof,even With Lots Of Mods,but Like Anything Else If You Push It To Far With The Mods Then It Can Become Unreliable.the Huskys And Aprilla's Do Require More Maintenance And Fiddling,plus There Are Tons Of Mods You Can Do To The Drz,and Thats Half The Fun.not To Mention Price.good Luck

I'm 53 yrs old and don't think I can keep my lisc with my new SMR510, it is a blast and wants to be accellerating or braking not cruising, has about the same power as my YZ426. The bike handles back roads great and just begs to be ridden hard. I've got 1000 miles on mine now and no problems. Mike

I'm 53 yrs old and don't think I can keep my lisc with my new SMR510, it is a blast and wants to be accellerating or braking not cruising, has about the same power as my YZ426. The bike handles back roads great and just begs to be ridden hard. I've got 1000 miles on mine now and no problems. Mike

So, how do you guys think the new Husky 610 would be?? I am throwing around the idea of getting a SM for the street. I race my R6 on the track, and the R1 is becoming more and more uncomfy on the street...

It depends what you want to do with it.

I have a DRZ and bought it purely for suzuki reliabilty (hopefully). I've had two huskies and both have blown up, and I can't imagine an aprillia being reliable.

Of course in stock trim the DRZ is a heavy slow'ish lump in comparison to the others, but it depends what you want to do with it.

I've happily spent 3 days riding mine over hundreds of miles each day, I'd be terrified of doing that on a Husky or Aprilia incase it broke down in the middle of no where.

The Husky 450 or 510 are track bikes or street bikes built for speed. If I had to just ride from point a to b on I would go with the DR-Z. But if you are looking for a racer - the Husky is pure fun and speed compared to the DRZ. But after an hour on the Husky going straight - you will wish you had a DR-Z.

The Aprilia - great bike but if you live in America the thing is not and will not be street legal until 2008 (if that)

Another awesome cruiser is the Husky 610. Not a track bike but faster than the DR-Z and able to log in lost of miles and sail down the freeway at 75.

There is a complete write up on a DR-Z vs Husky 450 is the current issue of SuperMoto Racer Magazine.

The Husky 450 or 510 are track bikes or street bikes built for speed. If I had to just ride from point a to b on I would go with the DR-Z. But if you are looking for a racer - the Husky is pure fun and speed compared to the DRZ. But after an hour on the Husky going straight - you will wish you had a DR-Z.

The Aprilia - great bike but if you live in America the thing is not and will not be street legal until 2008 (if that)

Another awesome cruiser is the Husky 610. Not a track bike but faster than the DR-Z and able to log in lost of miles and sail down the freeway at 75.

There is a complete write up on a DR-Z vs Husky 450 is the current issue of SuperMoto Racer Magazine.

well if the aprilia is not street legal then that throws it out...why does it have lights and blinkers on it for 07??

I think this is going to be a hard decision on what I want to do with it. good thing i have a while to decide! lol

The DRZ is perfectly reliable to the 50-55HP mark as long as you do it correctly. Plenty of 50HP street DRZs out there racking up the miles, something that you just don't see with many of the others.

Lets face it, it needs mods to really be exciting. Where as the others can be downright scarry out of the box even if you've been riding for a while.

The other matter is if you plate and SM the offroad or "E" model then you're ahead of the game with a righter bike (about 10lbs more than a KTM and significantly less than the Aprilia) and it comes with a few of the go-faster goodies that the SM model should have got. This is of course really dependant on the local laws, it's really easy up here.

What I'm getting at is for a 16 year old with a newly aquired license you should understand that just about any bike you step on with be exciting and dangerous. What you need is something that adds reliable and predictable to the mix.

But then again I started at 17 on an RZ350 so I'm not the best example.

Grant

Go with the DRZ. You can pick up the sm model new for about $5600, and there is nothing about it that is not fun. Riding it is a blast, and if you ever do end up getting injured, or weather does not permit you to ride you can spend your time doing some of the mods for it. It might be heavier, and slower then the Husky, but you will be thankfull you are on a DRZ rather then the Husky if you have to go on any longer rides. Plus at 16 the police are just looking for a way to pull you over so a slower bike would be in your best interest.

And like BCRider said.

it's far more fun to ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow.

new aprilia sxv's are road legal arnt they? the new 07's that are in....

and another question to throw out there.....just wondering wether the aprilia or the husky will be more reliable....? which will need more maintenance....

anyone no what the warrenty on husky and aprilia's are?

I have experience riding the DRZ475TT for street SM and it has more than enough power with the 440 athena big bore, stroker crank, FCR conversion and headwork by Ron Hamp. Outside of the original oem stator failure, I've logged hundreds of miles on it (aftermarket moose stator) and it has been dead reliable and a hoot to ride (almost 60hp on the dyno). I still have the yosh insert in that tested at 95 db and it's still plenty fast.

The only downside so far is that the stroker motor does have more vibration that a stock DRZ motor, so your hands can get numb for longer periods of time in the saddle. This is with rubber bar mounts and Fasstco Flexxbars as well. So, for an hour or two on the backroads, it's fine, but not much longer than that (at least for me).

All in all, the bike is incredibly fun to ride, fast enough for even experienced riders and still maintains the bulk of DRZ reliability for daily use.

I think i would have to vote for the Aprilia, price not withstanding.

Nothing like a frisky little Italian to get your blood moving...

drz400 is only 38 hp stock...doing all those mods to get it up to 50+ hp makes it unreliable....

*and does anyone no how much extra hp i can get out of a drz400sm with the 3*3 hole in the airbox, rejeted, with k&n filter???

...thinking pricewise, it is almost impossible to find used aprilia's....expecialy the sxv....there all brand new, after tax and setup the aprilia sxv550 is like $9500!!!! outragous price....