DRZ400SM or Husky SM?

ok im between the DRZ400SM, and the SM450/510 or the 610....

DRZ400SM only 38 HP compared to the 610's 63....but ive heard huskys can be a lot of extra maintenance, Jap bikes just seen to run and run....

Is the Husky worth the extra $1500 compared to the DRZ400SM?

Is the Husky worth the extra $1500 compared to the DRZ400SM?

Short answer is yes(to me anyway). IMO, each bikes has it's advantages and it's up to the individual rider to determine how each bikes pluses and minuses stack up for the RIDER. Paper stats are fine and useful in determining certain things but there are going to be intangibles that are different for each rider. I have a 2006 SM610S and my best friend just a bought a DRZ SM. Stock for stock my 610 is a better bike performance wise. Better low end and top side power, wheelies easier, and I like the brakes better on the Husky. I also think that the 610 is better looking but that is a personal thing and other people may like the DRZ better(intangible?). The Suzuki is a great bike though with a ton of aftermarket support that my Husky doesn't have. Also, dealer support for the Husky is non existent here where Suzuki has dealers every block or so it seems. Also, his maintenance intervals are ridiculous, like 16K miles before a valve adjustment is needed. Good luck picking though:)

No contest what so ever.

I have a DRZ-400E and an '06 TE510.

The Husky will eat the DRZ alive in terms of power output. It is also lighter and feels more nimble.

These are both dirt bikes and not SMs, but I'd expect the differences between the Husky and Suzuki SMs to be similar to my experience on the dirt version.

This is about like asking the question, 300hp Porsche, or 300 hp Olds Cutless.

After 100,000 miles the Porsche guy has had more repairs, had more phun, been admired by more guys (and probubly been laid more)

The Olds guy has had a few snivels but spent less money.

Are you an Olds guy or a Porsche guy?

BTW the Husky 610 would be to Corvette guy, he is guna get laid and have very few snivels! Why? A 450 is borderline small for hiway speeds so its working hard!

This is about like asking the question, 300hp Porsche, or 300 hp Olds Cutless.

After 100,000 miles the Porsche guy has had more repairs, had more phun, been admired by more guys (and probubly been laid more)

The Olds guy has had a few snivels but spent less money.

Are you an Olds guy or a Porsche guy?

BTW the Husky 610 would be to Corvette guy, he is guna get laid and have very few snivels! Why? A 450 is borderline small for hiway speeds so its working hard!

Yeah, my 510 gets me laid like a rug. ?

but ive heard huskys can be a lot of extra maintenance

I always love that line about the Euro bikes.........Maint is maint. All bikes require it, some more than others as THEY ARE RACE BIKES, like trhe 450/510. The fact that they are street legal, doesn't change the fact they are high tuned, race capable machines. The DRZ is a true dual sport and is not "out of the box" a racer like the Huskies are.

The SM610 is as reliable and worthy as the Suzuki and has better components, lighter, way better brakes and more HP. It is a better bike, but cost more.......What is your budget? There is nothing wrong with the DRZ, it is what it is and is dead reliable.

Figure out your budget, then your use. If you are like most, the DRZ is a good choice. If you want more power, less weight and more exclusivity, get the Husky.

And regarding the HP, the 610 is low 50's at the rear wheel at the most. I recently saw a dyno trace of a SMR 510 that was jetted and he put down a true 54 at the rear wheel. Now that is impressive.

To me, the DRZ is more directly comparable to the 610 than the 510 / 450.

The 510 are more race oriented, the 610 is the every day bike.

Similar weight to the DRZ, makes at least 10 hp more, much higher spec suspension components and excellent brakes if my TE is anything to go by (the SM has better brakes). IMHO a bit of a 'hard' alternative if my TE610 is anything to go by.

DRZ could have the more comfortable suspension, and then you get to the easy service and big aftermarket.

However the difference in price will be spent just getting the motor close TE/SM stock power, and the 610 has another 10 hp just a jetkit and can away.

You'd have to spend even more to get the suspension up to spec.

The Corvette / Olds / Porsche analogy above is pretty accurate, except I'd make the Porsche a Ferrari, even more expensive / fiddly to maintain...

For what you are doing I'd look at the DRZ or the 610. I ride a smr450 everyday and it has been ok up till now 25000km's save for the gearbox breaking. A friend has had his DRZ gearbox break also but it did have a big bore kit and hot cams in it, which made it much closer to my husky power wise. I am now looking at a similar dilema, but for me it's modified 610 or 510 (with cush) Do I go for less oil changes or more fun ?

• 7 months later...

Hi,

You can't really compare HP numbers between a 610 and a 400. I Just had to make the same choice you are going through. I really wanted to get a 450SMR, lets be honest they are bad ass. I ended up buying the DRZ400SM though due to the following reasons.

1. Lack of dealer support in my area. Husky dealer 4 hours away, Suzuki dealer 15 min

2. The SMR450 does not have a key. The DRZ does

3. The SMR450 does not have an exhaust sheild.

4. The SMR headlight is far too underpowered.

5. No Fan on the Rad

The SMR does have obvious advantages that justify the price difference. Ex Brembos, lighter. It also make signifigantly more power. So far i have been very happy with my DRZ400SM but it is a little lacking in the power/throttle response. But this is easily fixed with airbox mod and a jet kit.

Go with the DRZ:thumbsup:

It is Bullitt proof:ride:

It is a nice bike and rides great on the street and good on the dirt with plenty of power.?

It would be a GREAT FIRST BIKE FOR YOU:thumbsup:

Will thats my 2 cents:ride:

My friend just bought the DRZ 400 because of the "killer" deal he got on it and I told him to get the Husky,I have a 450.

Needless to say he spends his knights in the thumper talk store

shopping and ordering all the accessories from pipes to Keihin pumper carbs and know he says he is ordering a 440 Big Bore kit for it.I am still kicking his ass and my bike came stock with that ability!

It looks like that deal was not so killer after all.

Oh,he just told me he wished he had another gear.? I have 6 to his 5.

The bottom line,a DRZ is fun to cruise around the block and hopefully

you won't run into a Husky!:worthy: