Sign in to follow this  

125 to a 250

I ride a 03 ktm 125 sx. I want to start riding some dunes, and dirt at the same time. Is moving up to a kx 250 a good idea? I am 17 and weigh about 130 and I am about 5'6"ish......

What are the major differences? Powerbands, more power? Thanks for any help.

It depends on riding experience. I moved from my 125SX straight to my RM250 with no problems. If you think the max power of your 125 is too little for you, then get a 250. I loved my 250, and i probly couldnt ride it to its limits, but the extra power is nice. So if you think your ready, then do it.

I use a simple description to my friends when talking about the 250. I tell them that it is a 125 with nuts. To me, the bikes feel almost identical in weight and handling. Th 250 just hs the power that is lacking on the bottom end.

You're pretty skinny, but you should be able to handle it fine after the first few rides.

You're pretty skinny, but you should be able to handle it fine after the first few rides.

Barch88 is correct, but at your weight, you have to be having a blast on that 125!!! Why mess that up? You will not be faster on a 250 :thumbsup:

If you want more power go for it, but you will be faster on an 125. Spend your money on a newer 125!!! :ride:

DO IT, im 15, 125IBS, 5'7 and went from a '03 YZ125 to a '06 WR250F and its a blast, my bike probably weighs as much or more as a 250 2stroke, i can handle it fine, just get used to it, buy new bars that u like, shave the seat, lower the sage...bam u got a near perfect fit bike...i love mine

DO IT, im 15, 125IBS, 5'7 and went from a '03 YZ125 to a '06 WR250F and its a blast, my bike probably weighs as much or more as a 250 2stroke, i can handle it fine, just get used to it, buy new bars that u like, shave the seat, lower the sage...bam u got a near perfect fit bike...i love mine

Thier talking about 250 2-STROKES. a 250 4-Banger isnt anything compared to a 250 2-smoke.

Barch88 is correct, but at your weight, you have to be having a blast on that 125!!! Why mess that up? You will not be faster on a 250 :thumbsup:

If you want more power go for it, but you will be faster on an 125. Spend your money on a newer 125!!! :ride:

I want to be able to ride dunes too. And I can't with a 125 :applause:

Go for it, I went from a 250 trail bike to a 250 2-stroke and have no regrets. It feels like I am riding a mountain bike.