Sign in to follow this  

Tips on not scratching rims. Black excels.

UPS shows my new black excel rims should be delivered tomorrow. I know what you might be thinking, "They will eventually get scratched" but I want to prevent any unnecessary scratches.

So, any tips on installing the tires without scratching them too bad? I've seen some of the rim protectors made for this but I forgot where I saw them and now it's a bit too late.

Any other black rim owners out there? How long have you had yours and how are they holding up?

Motion Pro makes rim protectors, they work real well. You can stick a small piece of cardboard in between the rim and tire iron to help prevent scratches. Be sure to use a good soap/water mix to help the tire go on and take your time. If you do scratch the rim, use a black sharpie to color in the scratch. WD-40 really puts a good shine on these rims. Good Luck!

If you run supermoto:

I run 17' Excel's on my XR400. Can't tell you about installing the rubber to the wheel because I didn't want to scratch the rim but I can advise you to pay attention to the two bolts that hold the chain guide wear block (rubber) as they are very close to the rim.

You might also want to tape the rim during installation.

once they do get scratched a black sharpie works great to hide. I use the nylon protectors for tire changes

Thanks for the tips. I do have some painters tape. I guess I could cover the rims with it before I try to install. Any other tips to make the install of the rim as easy as possible?? I have been told to put WD40 on the tire to lubricate it and help it go on.

Anything else?

Thanks for the tips. I do have some painters tape. I guess I could cover the rims with it before I try to install. Any other tips to make the install of the rim as easy as possible?? I have been told to put WD40 on the tire to lubricate it and help it go on.

Anything else?

Windex works good, but I would not use wd40.

soapy water works for me... i also put the tire out in the sun for a little while before hand too. Last one i did was nice and soft after 30 min in the sun.

If you haven't already, check out the Transworld videos on tire changing technique. The only time I ever scratched my rims was trying to stuff the final spoon in for that very last part of the bead; in the video they tell you to insert the last 2 spoons at the same time, then flip them one at a time. Great tip, it works really well for me.

put the tire in the sun let it stretch...put that painters tape on the rim (DO NOT USE DUCKTAPE it will leave a buch of crap on the wheel)..not just one layer...make sure you lube it up realy goooooood...painters tape on the bars...and take your time dont try and rush it..

Every shop in town uses WD40 to install tires. It works better than anything else.

Thanks for all of the info everyone. Just got the rims in and they look nice. Tires are in the sun and have been for a while. It will be later on before i get to do it.

Here's the instructions the guy that laced and trued my rims emailed me.

To mount the tires w/o scratching the rim:

Lube the tire with WD40 and

make sure the tire bead is in the drop center( where the spokes attatch is the drop center) This allows you to put the tire on easier because there is more room to move the tire. Start at the valve stem and finish at the valve stem, pushing the tire bead into the drop center as you progress. It really is easy as long as the bead is in the center of the rim. Good luck, and thanks,

Any other info in the mean time is always welcomed.

Didn't get a chance to put them on last night. Hopefully today though.

Dont buy them

Not that it matters becasue I've already bought them but why???

Didn't get a chance to put them on last night. Hopefully today though.

Not that it matters becasue I've already bought them but why???

Hey did you end up getting 2 excel's? or anodizing 1? ive got blk rims on my 450 2 so let us no what worx 4 u!!