Sign in to follow this  

Beartown Mtn. Ride

Had a great ride ar Beartown Mtn. today, myself and my youngest son (17). I'm glad to report, he was more worn out at the end of the ride than I was, he just hasn't learned the fine art of dodging rocks at 30 mph. Trails were actually in great shape, very little rain over the past few weeks, the best I've seen them in awhile. PM me if some members plan on making a trip out there.

Dave

Where is beartown moutain, never heard of it?

By the way, that is one absolutely Beautiful Yankee 500Z. I remember those bikes were rare back in the day, must be worth some serious cash now.

Beautiful Ossa as well.

In the garage

2001 Ducati 996S

2001 Aprilia RSV Mille R

2001 Yamaha WR250

2003 Suzuki RM100, daughters bike

2003 Kawasaki 650 Praire

2005 Suzuki DRZ400SM

1974 Suzuki TM400

Beartown Mtn in Mass? That place is great! I rode there about a month ago.

Mass. has some great state forests that they allow cycles and quads in, Beartown and October Mt. are two of them closest to me, about an hour from home but worth the drive. They're both off exit 2 of the Mass. Pike, here's a link to the web site:

http://www.mass.gov/dcr/parks/western/bear.htm

The Yankee has been a lot of fun, I bought one brand new when they came out, and them bought this one to rebuild 30 years later. I ride it in vintage events and local to my house, lots of people recognize it, the bike was made right in this area.

Dave

How's October MTN? Is it off RT 8 or RT 7. Was OCtober MTN similar to the trails at Beartown? Thanks.

Beartown and October are a few miles apart, October has more trails, maybe one or two that an average rider might not be able to make, the trails change a lot, depending on how much rain they get. Some trails are nothing but stream beds, most of the trails have a good helping of rocks thrown in for excitement. The trails aren't as beat up at the ones in Pittsfield State Forest, those are nothing but bedrock, hardly any dirt left anywhere, the quads overuse those trails big time.

Dave

i was at beartown on sat. liked it alot. and yes the trails are better then pittsfield. :ride: however that didnt stop me from having a pretty good get-off that has my right wrist still on ice two days later. :thumbsup: it sucks typing with my left hand only. good thing i have a desk job.

damn airplane trail!!!

Ouch, that's rough. All the trails there offer lots of opportunities go take an unscheduled off-trail adventure, Wolverine across the street from Airplane comes to mind. We rode for most of the afternoon on Thursday, honestly, I haven't ridden my bike so fast, for so long, as far back as I can remember. My legs felt like lead the whole weekend, from standing on the pegs and hammering through the trails and rock gardens. I'm just glad the trails weren't wet, when they get that slippery coating of mud, you have to be careful, or you're gonna lose it.

Dave

Thanks for the info. Are the trails well marked?

For the most part at Beartown they are pretty well marked. Pittsfield was marked pretty well. There are trails and dirt roads everywhere so with the map (and a good sense of direction)shouldn't get lost. I felt Beartown was more fun than Pittsfield. Pittsfield had super highways where Beartown had provided more of a challenge. I liked the Wildcat trail at Beartown the best. below are pics of Pittsfield.

3.jpg

2.jpg

4.jpg

7.jpg

These roots are not fun when they're wet!!!!! :thumbsup:

6.jpg

I like Wildcat too, if you start from the bottom and work your way up, it's real challenging. At the end, there is a hiking path that takes you to lookout point, a 100 mile view on a good day. Then, you can take the trail back down the mountain, and it's like a completely different ride, the downhill part being as fast as you want it to be. The paved road running right through the park is great, we had a YZ250 run out of gas after 20 miles (I thought my bike was bad on gas at 50 miles per tank), and the guy just took another bike and drove down to where the trucks were parked, got his trailer, and came back to pick up the bike.

It's a good idea to ride the trails slow at least once to get an idea of who might be out there. I've seen whole groups of scouts out there doing a nature trip, I would hate to encounter them on some of the blind corners.

We always seem to use Bebe Trail as a warm up and for a hot lap, it's short and not too rocky, there's room to pass in a few spots, and it doesn't seem to get too muddy after you get past the first section.

Dave

Within NYS, there are a few places, mostly on friend's private land, and a few other spots that are close by and convenient. There are some good trails out of the Lake George area (Procpect Mtn., Thurman, Stony Creek) and if you have a TrailPass, you can ride West Mtn. and other spots that they maintain and allow access to.

Dave

Beartown and October are a few miles apart, October has more trails, maybe one or two that an average rider might not be able to make, the trails change a lot, depending on how much rain they get. Some trails are nothing but stream beds, most of the trails have a good helping of rocks thrown in for excitement. The trails aren't as beat up at the ones in Pittsfield State Forest, those are nothing but bedrock, hardly any dirt left anywhere, the quads overuse those trails big time.

Dave

Well now I know why they call it ROCKTOBER mountain. I road there yesterday. We road on Schermerhom Trail, Boulder Trail, Switchback Trail, Felton Trail, Roaring Brook Trail, Navin Trail and some unmarked trails north of Farnham Reservoir that were outside the park (Got lost). Yankee your right some trails change a lot. There were a few too many rocks for my taste on some of those trails, like Switchback and the trail that leads up to October mtn. It’s fun to accomplish but you’ll get you’re a$$ handed to you if you ride that all day. I really liked the faster trails that were there. So far I like Beartown the best out of all the Mass St Forests.

Hey TJ,

The maps they give you for October MTN are horrible. There are many trails that are there that are not marked on the map which throws off your orientation. I brought a GPS, which bailed us out. Below is a map from my GPS. The white line is where we rode. Below that is the actual map of October Mtn.

octobermtnride11.jpg

octmtn.png

I can't seem to get these pics bigger. I can email them to you if you want.

Thanks for the info guys.

Sauce I see you posted a larger map. That GPS must be nice. :thumbsup:

So, you can ride during the week.....me too. :ride:

Thanks for the info guys.

Sauce I see you posted a larger map. That GPS must be nice. :thumbsup:

So, you can ride during the week.....me too. :ride:

The GPS is great.

I happen to be on vacation this week. But I do plan to ride mass again during the week before the season ends. I'll let you know.

We were stopped by DEP while on the road. I was ok with the Vermont plate. The others with Mass ORV plates got a warning not to ride on the road.

One more thing...we were the only riders in the forest all day. It's great going there during the week.

hey, let me know when you are going during the week again. A few of us are taking some time off the week after Labor Day to do trail work for the upcoming Jr. Enduro, and want to ride someplace new, like MASS.