Sign in to follow this  

Aluminum vs Magnesium

Could someone please tell me what material the valve cover is made from?? It looks like the same finish as the clutch cover which is Magnesium. Also what is the advantage of aluminum vs magnesium?

it is magnesium. alluminum doesnt catch fire like magnesium does

From what I've read; magnesium is lighter, stronger, more plentiful and easier to cast than aluminum. Only bad side is that it is easily ignitable. And once it ignites, it has to be put out with dry chemicals ~ water will only feed it.

A magnesium frame would be awesome... if they could only cast a perimeter frame out of it.

MG is less dense than AL, far less stable than AL with respect to oxidation. not as strong (equal weights considered) and more difficult to fabricate (weld)

There are also different alloys of mag, I seriously doubt anyone's engine is in danger of catching fire. You can usually spot mag on a bike because it'll be painted (like your cam cover) to keep it from oxidizing. It's much lighter than aluminum, just as was previously mentioned.

OMG burnes more easliy? Why not list the atomic data and how to process it as well eh? Yea Magnesium is better brother, lighter, stronger, tricker.

OMG burnes more easliy? Why not list the atomic data and how to process it as well eh? Yea Magnesium is better brother, lighter, stronger, tricker.

magnesium has the symbol Mg and atomic number 12 and an atomic mass of 24.31. Magnesium is the eighth most abundant element and constitutes about 2% of the Earth's crust by weight, and it is the third most plentiful element dissolved in seawater

:thumbsup:

FYI, you want to see a REALLY cool flame.

Check out thermite, its one of the few things that can reduce your entire bike into a pile of molten goo

magnesium has the symbol Mg and atomic number 12 and an atomic mass of 24.31. Magnesium is the eighth most abundant element and constitutes about 2% of the Earth's crust by weight, and it is the third most plentiful element dissolved in seawater

Bwaaa ha ha, thats great.

Check out thermite, its one of the few things that can reduce your entire bike into a pile of molten goo

Just get some iron powder and aluminum powder and touch it with a piece of burning magnesium ribbon :thumbsup:

melts through just about anything

I think Mg is Manganese. Magnesium is less dense than Al and not as strong, roughly about 1/3 the tensile strength. You can look up the material property data on www.matweb.com.

So you're telling me that I shouldn't ride this on the beach? :ride:

Dude you are too much! :ride: