Sign in to follow this  

ways to clean air filters?

Are there any alternatives to clean an air filter other then Kerosene? The rents won't allow another tank sitting around with a flamable liquid inside in our garage so kerosene is not an option.

good but not as good as filter cleaner. i like the maxima stuff the best. my filter gets so clean and i dont have to wait for it to soak or anything.

good but not as good as filter cleaner. i like the maxima stuff the best. my filter gets so clean and i dont have to wait for it to soak or anything.

That's pretty good stuff too.

Why not use filter cleaner, that's what I use. I put the filter in a small plastic bag and spray it well. Then I message the cleaner through the bag, never getting my hands dirty.

Then I take it out and rinse it. It comes out perfectly clean.

Then I get another plastic bag with the filter oil an use the same massage technique to spread the oil.

cold water tide in hot water works really well. im going to try oxyclean next and see how it works.

I use Simple Green in a bucket of warm water. Then, I put it in the dryer for about 20 min on gentle cycle. I use Klotz filter oil and it works great.

Simple Green - To remove Dirt

WD-40 - To remove old oil

Simple Green Again

Rinse-Rinse Rinse.

Makes it look new.

then apply new filter oil

I use the bucket of air filter solvent method, reusable and minimum waste. Wear only good nitrile gloves or the solvent eat latex. 2nd bucket contains the air filter oil, dunk, squeeze excess out, and voila! one oiled air filter, and lots of solvent and oil for next time.

I change the solvent annually, and buy the 1 gallon can, and maybe go through 2 quarts per year of filter oil.

Simple green full strength with the garden hose, follow it up with half a cap of laundry detergent and warm water - rinse and it will look brand new.

I use Klotz foam filter oil and using this method for cleaning/oiling I have never had anything pulled into the intake boot past the filter.

25:1 water to simple green in a bucket (warm water). let is sit in there for about 20 minutes, take it out, swish it around a little and rinse well in sink...listen to mom say how she doesnt like the smell of air filter oil and simple green, blow with compressed air to get any water or leftover dirt particles out, and i use PJ1 foam filter oil.

Simple Green - To remove Dirt

WD-40 - To remove old oil

Simple Green Again

Rinse-Rinse Rinse.

Makes it look new.

then apply new filter oil

Way too much work. With No-Toil, you just drop the filter in a bucket with very hot water and the No-Toil soap (or alternative soaps mentioned in previous No-Toil threads). Let sit for 30 minutes, and quick rinse to get the filter clean as new.:thumbsup:

Or some guys even get away with just tossing them in the clothes washer. My wife won't let me do that for some reason...

Shoot, you don't even need to let it sit, just aggitate the filter around in the water for about 2min and its brand new looking.