KLX650C Dead :(

I was on my way to work the other morning when suddenly I noticed a lack of

power. When I pulled in the clutch to change gear the engine would

die (instantly the bike would be quiet), let it out again and it

seemed to be running (and even pulling).

Once I was off the freeway and slowed down, the bike cut out (with the

clutch in) and would not come back at all. I stopped and could smell

gas very strongly. I loked down and noticed a lot of gas had somehow

spewed out of the filler cap and was all over the top of the tank.

I tried to start it again with the electric start, but it was no-go.

The starter seemed to be turning, but sounded different compared to normal.

I pushed it the rest of the way to work (thankfully not up hill),

where I tried to start it again. Apart from an incredibly loud

backfire (glad I was still wearing my helmet), I got nothing.

Right now all 3 of my vehicles are off the road. It's going to be a

very expensive month ?

So far I've checked and confirmed that I have fuel and I have a spark.

The starter definately sounds different (like it's doing less work),

but with the plug out I can see the piston going up and down.

I took a couple of pictures, one of the spark plug tip...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/12316837@N00/217461912

and one of the dark spots I can see on the piston...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/12316837@N00/217463425

I also tried a brand new plug after spraying some wd40 in the cylinder and still nothing.

Any ideas what could be wrong?

It's a 1995 'C' model.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good idea, I'll strip the carb down tonight. (I had been offroading for the first time 2 days before this happened, so a fouled carb is quite possible).

Here's one thing that depressed me last night. Although when I try to bump start it ti does feel like it has compression (or at least that much resistance), I removed the plug and put my hand over the spark plug hole and hit the starter, but I felt nothing at all.

I really hope it's something simple and doesn't need a rebuild.

Any idea how much a rebuild would cost me?

Sounds like you've already determined you have spark.

They symptoms you have sound very similar to a problem with my KLR600. It turns out that the bolt holding the sproket on the intake cam backed itself out, so the sproket was turning, but not the cam. Take your valve cover off and inspect the cams. turn the starter and make sure both cams are turning

Before you do that you might want to take the carb apart and clean it, also check the air filter, if its really dirty particles might be going into the carb and clogging the jets.

I was pressing my hand over the spark plug hole on top of the head (although it's a long way down to the actual hole).

How do I check my cams are turning? Should I use the starter to do that? With the valve cover off ? Which part is the valve cover, sorry I'm a bit of a newb with bike mechanics.

Okay I got the valve cover off. Someone did a realy sloppy job of the gasket last time. Anyway, the cams seem to turn fine (when I hit the starter), and I can see the valves go up and down. What next?

IMG_0924.jpg

IMG_0922.jpg

IMG_0923.jpg

Agree with P_M; you need a properly-timed SPARK; a correct MIXTURE, and adequate COMPRESSION for the engine to run.

You have spark; sihce the engine ran recently, you can assume the air/fuel mixture's not totally off (I'd further assume you're running fresh, "dry" gasoline, your fuel tank/float bowl is NOT contaminated by moisture settling to the bottom of either/both); a compression gauge will inform you of the compression (use a hot battery for the compression test; open the throttle while cranking).

Poor compression may indicate bad rings, bad (sticking and/or eroded faces/seats) valves, or improper valve timing (as in, cam chain slipped some cogs, an unlikely possibility from viewing the video).

If compression's o.k., but the engine still doesn't fire, I'd consider ("DO NOT TRY THIS AT HOME") a whiff or two of ether-based STARTING FLUID (have a fire extinguisher handy; no kidding); the starting fluid will insure a combustible mixture.

Good luck!

I got one with the "universal" rubber plug.

I have no compression ?

I called the dealer and spoke to the service guy, and he says as a rule of thumb it costs about $1000 for a rebuild :ride:

That's over half of the value of the bike. Should I try and fix it myself? Or should I get another used bike and strip mine down and ebay the good parts to recoup my losses?

I continued to strip the bike down, and I'm found my first MAJOR issue.

The Exhaust cam...

A picture says a thousand words, this thousand all start with 'F' and end with 'K'

http://www.flickr.com/photos/12316837@N00/219293443

And here's the unlucky cam...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/12316837@N00/219293444

The intake side looks good though.

I just recently passed 8000 miles.

Going to tear down the head next and see how much more damage there is.

From the looks of that cam and surfaces, it might just be time to strip anything good off the bike and take it to the junkyard. If you find more damage (as I'm sure you will) it's not gonna be worth fixing. It looks to me like your cam was running without oil. When did you last change your engine oil? An oil passage in the head may be plugged (that caused all this)

Jaffa where in cali do you live? If your in so-cal I could help ya out with the rebuild. I'm replacing the top end on my fo-fiddy and it all looks the same. So if the rest is not that bad of shape you can pick up parts for it on ebay cheap and a new top end. Beer is alot less money than $1000 to fix your bike. Just an offer. ?