Sign in to follow this  

checking shims and reshimming?

ok just got done with my first top end :thumbsup::ride:

only one mess up is cam chain fell off bottom sprocket but i got it back on with both being TDC i turned it a few times didnt sound like any problems

but what i am having trouble with is checking the clearances and such with my feeler gauge. is the feeler suppose to just fit in there with little movement alowed? the guide i got off here says something of some sort " little movement" those were not the words tho.

i just used the old shims that where in the old valves and old head in the new one

the exhaust are WAY to big with the gap. the rocker arm kinda taps back and forth so im guessing i need way bigger shims for that and my intake i cant even fit a .0015 in so im just assuming its .000 was to dark and i didnt want to keep going.

sorry to prolong it but my question is how would i know this size gauge is the right one for the gap? keep trying bigger til it just barely fits in the gap? and thats it?

:applause::applause::applause::applause::applause:

and also THANKS EVERYONE FOR THE REPLY"S TO ALL MY PREVIOUS POSTS I"VE LEARNED SO MUCH FROM YOU ALL SO FAR THANKS!!!!!!!

:applause::applause::applause::applause:

Not going to be able to suggest much but wanted to say I feel your pain. Ive always heard the guage should go in with "slight resistance". How much pressure in a slight resistance :ride:

:thumbsup:

you should just be able to get the feeler guage in there. if it goes in easy, its too loose. if you have to really force it, its too tight.

as for the rocker arm, that is supposed to move a little if you are at TDC

i'm guessing that sounds fine but me being new that sounds a bit weird measuring the gap of the exh shim with that little play of the rocker arm.