Sign in to follow this  

drzsm and drzs swingarm

just wondering if the sm and s swingarms have the same clearance(width)for a wider tire.i have a bridgestone trail wing 150/70/17 on my sm at the moment and there is at least 1 cm of clearance left on each side of the tire to the swingarm and the chain.some people have said a 160 won't fit while other have not had a problem.is the clearance problem only with the s swingarm or some 160 width tires diferent than others. :confused:the reason i ask is because there isn't to much to chose from and i just picked up an avon av49 front tire.i'd like to get the rear(av50) as well but its a 160/60/17.will it fit?

just wondering if the sm and s swingarms have the same clearance(width)for a wider tire.i have a bridgestone trail wing 150/70/17 on my sm at the moment and there is at least 1 cm of clearance left on each side of the tire to the swingarm and the chain.some people have said a 160 won't fit while other have not had a problem.is the clearance problem only with the s swingarm or some 160 width tires diferent than others. :confused:the reason i ask is because there isn't to much to chose from and i just picked up an avon av49 front tire.i'd like to get the rear(av50) as well but its a 160/60/17.will it fit?

I use Avon Distanzia 160/60-17 on my sm and there is 5mm on each side left, the tire is 165mm wide! No problem, but you have to messure the tire before, some makers messure different. The stock tire is nearly 155mm wide if i remember correct and it sayes 140/70-17 on the tire :thumbsup:

All tires of a certain size are NOT the same exact size. There is a plus or minus margin. On my streetbike the 150 Dunlop is about an inch wider than the 150 Metzler.

I use Avon Distanzia 160/60-17 on my sm and there is 5mm on each side left, the tire is 165mm wide! No problem, but you have to messure the tire before, some makers messure different. The stock tire is nearly 155mm wide if i remember correct and it sayes 140/70-17 on the tire :ride:
well thats good to know.i would think that the avon av50 should fit then if you avon distanza fits :thumbsup:

I have a 140/70 x 17 IRC RX-01R Road Winner on the rear of my 2004 S and I have 17mm clearance on the brake side and 30mm clearance on the drive side. You have clearance to get slightly larger tire on. To install the wheel/tire I must remove the chain guide and the brake caliper then reinstall after the wheel is in place in the swing arm. The rim is a RAD Mfg DRZ400 Supermoto 5.0 Behr set up.