Sign in to follow this  

Newb questions... XR400 on the street?

Alright, I currently have an old honda vtr250 (think sport bike with only a 250) anyways, the street in alright, but all the cars freak me out sometimes. So, I think I want to get into the enduro/street legal dirt bike arena...

So, I have a few questions...

do people get street/offroad (enduro) tires for their bike and ride it on the road?

if so what is the top speed for stock gearing?

how does it handle on the road? scary/decent/stable???

I basically think I want to get two sets of tires and rims and be able to switch them out for the knobbys and the enduro tires when I want...

any help would be appreciated!

THANK YOU!

Zach

If your profile is correct, consider yourself lucky. An XR can be made Colorado street legal very easily. Horn, mirror and brakelight connect to rear brake is all that's needed. Take a trip to the DMV, get your inspection form and have a local PD sign off on her.

There's nothing on the books that states you must have DOT tires, so I say screw them. They don't work as well off road and the decent ones are $$$, IMO of course. I run Maxxis desertcross IT and HT all the time on the road with no issues....even in the rain.

I went from a 15t to 14 up front and found my top speed to be somewhere between 75-78 mph. Not a road bike, but no doubt stable.....until you bend your rims running into stuff :thumbsup:

it is correct, I live outside boulder (thankfully)

I want to be able to run up into the mountains and cruise around... but I also dont want to forgoe cruising around the mountain roads, so I guess I am asking about the enduro tires because of the mountain twisties, I dont want to scream around them, but i would like to go the speedlimit and not kill myself...

Hopefully I will buy a bike in october, apparently after the first snow fall prices come down...

since you are in colorado, where would you suggest I look for a used bike? craigslist?

Zach

OK, so I did some more searching and well I guess what I want to do is a super motard conversion...

so, can I just get a set of used rims and throw on some street tires? so I can switch back and forth easily?

Thanks,

Zach

I don't know what butterpants is running but I found with the 21 inch front wheel and that big ass front fender that acts like a friggin sail at speed, that the XR400 was anything but stable over 55mph. A Scotts steering dampener fixed it right up though.

An extra set of wheels set up for road use would be the way to go. There are a couple of other things you would want to do to optimize the bike for road situations other than just change wheels (larger front sprocket, re-set rear sag, adjust front compression....), but it doesn't make too bad a road bike coming right out of the woods as far as I'm concerned. I will give the Scott's a twist and let 'er rip. The road will chew up your knobbies pretty quick though.

I just switched from knobbies to IRC GP 110-s. Dual sport tires. WHOA WHAT A DIFFERENCE. Street riding is sooo much more fun now.

I was running 15/48 and let off at 75mph. Probably could have gotten 80, but it was revving like crazy.

I have a new chain and sprockets on the bike. 15/45. The master link is sitting there waiting to be pressed on. As soon as I get the tools and stuff, I'll post my new top speed.

As far as stability goes, I've never had any wobbles at all. Youre going to want a decent jacket to block some of the wind that you'll get at higher speeds.

Corners are a ton of fun. You can just rail them. Suspension soaks up everything.

Having two sets of wheels is my dream, but I had to compromise with the tires. I think they'll still do pretty good offroad, and I"ll get a TON more life out of them than regular knobs.

Well, it looks like I want an XR400... it's going to be a couple months before I get a chance to look into bikes... it seems like craigslist in my area is the most popular for used bikes, but if you have any other ideas as to where to look, let me know... I am shooting for right around $2k probably 98+

Thanks for all your help I appreciate it!

Zach

New top speed was 85mph even. Cruising at 65 is easy, but the wind starts getting annoying. The sweet spot is about 60mph with my dirt helmet.

Thats about the same as my current bike, I dont really care to go much faster then that... hopefully I can afford one soon!

Zach