Sign in to follow this  

good deal or not?

Hi,

someoen is selling me the following bike for $2000 should i go for it or not?

'99 Honda CRE250. This is a CR with a full woods conversion, including:

Paioli 46mm conventional front forks revalved by Factory Connection (PLUSH and SWEET offroad)

Shock valved by Factory Connection for offroad

E-Line lighting coil powering a headlight, tailight, brake-light and Hot Grips

Clarke 3.2 gallon tank

18" rear wheel

Cycra Pro-Bend barkbusters with hand guards

Oversize front brake

Braided stainless steel front brake hose

Answer Pro-Taper oversize bars

E-line Carbon Fiber Pipe Guard

E-line Carbon Fiber clutch cover guard

E-line carbon fiber chain guide

Zip-Ty rear disc shark fin

Skid Plate

Radiator Brace

V-force reed block with carbon fiber reeds

FMF Spark arrestor/silencer (it's pretty quiet)

BRAND NEW Renthal O-Ring chain and srockets (O MINUTES on the NEW PARTS)

100% seat cover

Titanium foot pegs

Shop Manual

Powerjet carb and ignition from a '97 CR250

New crank assembly put in about two years ago (will have to check my records for date)

Many spare parts including stock rim, spokes and stock tank

Etc.... This bike has it all, including a green sticker.

include an old set of boots, helmet, pants and gloves to go with the bike.

Spare parts included besides what has already been mentioned include fork seals, a brand new extra rear sprocket (50 tooth - suited for tight trails), a used set of tires and sprockets, the stock MX silencer, and a spare rear suspension linkage.

what you guys think?

yeah if you ride the woods then deff go for it, sounds like a bitching woods bike

well, 99% of my riding would be on trails, fields, woods. might try the track once every blue moon. i guess i'll go check it out.

guys, when i go check the bike out tomorrow, what should i look for? i don't know much about bike so what should i pay attention to? what should be considered as red flag?

guys, when i go check the bike out tomorrow, what should i look for? i don't know much about bike so what should i pay attention to? what should be considered as red flag?

Start it and listen to it idle. If it doesn't idle then just barley put on the gas and hold it. Make sure it sounds good. And also pull the seat off and check the air filter. If its terribly dirty then he probably doesn't take care of it. (that is rare). But it sounds like a VERY VERY good deal. :thumbsup:

It's a two stroke so the first thing you should do is put a new piston in it. Less than $100.00 and you get the assurance of knowing your piston won't sieze up on you after two hours (don't laugh, this has happened to me!). Before the person you're buying it from starts it for you, check to see if the cylinder is hot or warm. If the bike is running well, he should have no reason to warm it up before you get there.

Check the rims and make sure they're true. Make sure the pipe isn't damaged and look for spooge coming out of the silencer. Too much spooge could mean horrid jetting, bad gas, or all sorts of other crap. Those things can be easily rectified. Pull the cap off the spark plug and see what color it is. It should be tan to brown. Black could mean it's not running right or it's jetted wrong. Again, those items are easy to correct.

Most importantly, look very closely at the bike from all angles. Make sure the front and rear fenders line up perfectly. If they don't, the frame or subframe could be damaged. That would be the worst thing you could probably get. A new piston and you should be cruising through the woods in no time. It sounds like a great woods bike. Enjoy!! :thumbsup:

Also, ask him how often he changed the crank case oil. That needs to be changed at a decent frequency. Look over the bike, plastics, bars, swing arm and forks.

If the current owner added all that stuff himself, I would be willing to bet he took good care of it. Ask him if he added all of them upgrades himself. Good luck :thumbsup:

Thanks...

Sounds like a pretty good deal to me. Dont forget to check the bearings. Push and pull the forks forward and backward at the axle, if there is any play then the steering head bearings are shot and will need to be replaced. Move the front and rear tires side to side, if there is any play you will most likely need new wheel/axle bearings. Move the swingarm from side to side, any play and you guessed it; you'll need new bearings. Dont forget to check for any oil on the fork shafts, if there is fluid, it may need new fork seals. Look around the engine area for any engine oil, some around the kick starter seems normal, but excessive amounts may indicate the need for a new seal. I think everyone else covered the other things too look for. If possible, I would ride before you buy. And if you buy it, and pick it up with a trailer, make sure you are using the right size ball for the hitch, dont ask me how I know. Hope you have good luck and make the choice thats right for you.

ok, i just talked to the seller over the phone not too long ago and asked him couple more questions here's what he also told me:

"Overall maintenance is good. The air filter is cleaned every ride and the transmission oil is regularly changed.

The bike has usually been ridden in the woods, so the plastic is somewhat scratched and will never look new again. I do have a spare set of fenders and shrouds, but they are also aged.

After I clean it up, put the new chain and sprockets on and do my usual post ride service, it will be ready to ride.

It is about due for new rings, but the existing rings are by no means shot. The piston was new with the last set of rings, so should be good for at least one more set of rings.

The forks and shock have not been service recently, but I have also not been riding much in the last four years.

The powervalves on the CR250 tend to stay clean. I clean it every set of rings, but it almost does not need it.

I am uncertain of the condition of the lower shock bearing - this bearing tends to wear the fastest of all the linkage bearings on this bike.

The steering damper is ready for an oil change and maybe a rebuild, but still works fine. The damper is not included in my price but I would add it 'as is' for an additonal $150.

the title is clear.

Forgot to mention that I have brand new brake pads front and rear that I am also putting on.

Both front and rear tires are in good shape. Many long rides left on the front

and several long rides left on the rear. It has a Michelin S-12 on the back and

a Dunlop 756 on the front. These are soft terrain tires but they work well

everywhere."

i'm worried about that lower shock bearing, big deal or not? how to check for it to make sure it is still good. if not, how much it cost to replace?

by what he is telling me, how much would it cost me to get all those "problems" if any, fixed? i would try to do it myself

My buddy picked up an 01 for $2300. Try to talk him down to about $1800. However, $2000 is a fair price for that bike

Only in California. About 10-15% lower elsewhere.

True true, green stickered 250 2 stroke (02 and older) are pretty desireable