Sign in to follow this  

Dual Sporting security

This is for all of the people that have converted an ORV to an MC. I just recently got my XR4 on the road and was wondering what other people do since most of the dual sport kits don't come with a key switch. What do you guys use for an anti-thieft device?

Get a good chain, keys don't do anything. Apparently it takes a bike thief about 12 seconds to steal a bike that is not chained up. I fitted one of those little pushbike motion alarms too. It's not great, but at least it will piss the guy off whilst he's trying to saw through my chain. :thumbsup:

I use one of these with a regular lock:

http://www.kryptonitelock.com/inetisscripts/abtinetis.exe/PublicArticleDetails@public?artid=2704&atf=products_item&pgrp=20

I find a light post, steel railing, bike rack or a tree if I am desperate. Then lock it to the frame. The cable is probably not as safe as a chain, but carrying a chain in the back pack is a pain because of the weight, I have done it plenty. Plus, this cable is flexible and very light.

The key switch doesn't do much security wise. Usually it is just a kill switch. In the off position the switch shorts the kill wire just like the kill button. It's not good security as all you have to do is yank it out. The only person it would stop is the casual thief. If you want real security use a lock.

Good insurance to guard against the pros,,, and a lock to avoid the Joyriders

I remember seeing a lock that has a horn type alarm that clamped into one of the disk brake holes.

Does anyone know the name?

What Reiner said.

My buddy just sold his 05 GSXR to a guy that had his other 12K street bike stolen.........no insurance on it either. Ouweeeeeee.

I just added my TW200 to my KTM policy. It cost me 3 bucks a year to add on liability. For full coverage on the KTM and liability on the TW I pay $160.00 a year.

Insurance, and I carry a small coil up 24" combo lock so I can chain the bikes together, or to something if I go into a store, etc. It is small, light, and fits in my fender bag.

I went with a Brinks cable with built-in lock...

It's heavy but with take a while to get through with bolt cutters...

Unless you actually chain it to something, locks aren't any good either. Two guys can toss the average dualsport in the bike of a truck in a minute or so, then work on the lock at their leisure.

Unless you actually chain it to something, locks aren't any good either. Two guys can toss the average dualsport in the bike of a truck in a minute or so, then work on the lock at their leisure.

Better chain or cable it to a steel post or other object then!

I remember seeing a lock that has a horn type alarm that clamped into one of the disk brake holes.

Does anyone know the name?

It is Xena.

After my 650R got stolen from my home, I made a few changes to make sure my new ride doesn't find the same fate. You definitely want to lock your ride up to a non-moveable object. It will take two guys less than 30 seconds to pick up your bike and toss it into the open door of a minivan if it isn't attached to something solid. Don't rely on a steel post alone. Theives may be able to slide the cable or chain up over the top. Have a steel loop welded to it and have your chain or cable feed through it. I now have a Xena disc alarm and a cable with a Kryptonite lock around it. Someone may very well be able to cut through the cable, but when they start to move it, the alarm will go off. Now hopefully, that will be enough of a deterrant for them to hit the road, because by that time I will be heading down the stairs with a shotgun in tow. I'm not screwing around this time.

When I ride to work, I lock it up with the OnGuard 1" cable lock. It will take a little time to cut through that and our video cameras will have filmed them by then.

OK Rambo,,,

You're better off coming down with a CamCorder, that way they'll be the ones in Jail,, Not you

OK Rambo,,,

You're better off coming down with a CamCorder, that way they'll be the ones in Jail,, Not you

I'm just kidding Tom. My buddy made the same point when I mention it. However, a couple of slugs in the tires and they won't get very far. :thumbsup:

Anyone stealing a bike that's chained up will be using some kind of tool.

"Officer, I fired at him when he advanced toward me with the crowbar."

I don't ride my bike anywhere where I'll have to leave it out of my sight. I have a Cryptonite cable but I need a good lock for it. A set of bolt cutters will cut most padlocks in a couple of seconds.

Get insurance that covers the replacement cost and go get a better, newer bike. Send thank you card to thief.

BTW I ordered the key switch with the baja designs kit just in case. It probably would not be too hard to retrofit an existing kit. cost is $30.