Race exaust systems....

I am intending to replace the 15lb. stock pipe on my 04 DR650 with the best bang for the buck but understand the conversion.

Most pipe mfg. web sites don't offer anything for my bike but I see pics every where with them.... YOSHIMURA, Staintune, FMF, supertrapp, and Laser seem to be the most popular but do I buy the one for the DR-z ? Whats the retrofit?

Which one is the best performer, loudist etc?

Check --> HERE

I'm considering one of these for mine. People are saying they are getting good performance results, and the topic of "how loud" is varied from "they are LOUD" to "not much louder than stock when plodding around"....

It seems that almost every aftermarket 4 stroke pipe made is MUCH louder than stock. Then it comes down to who you are going to piss of in the process and how much you really care (i.e. neighbours, forestry, police etc.) That being said, some pipes are "better" than others for noise levels.

Good luck.

If you want a "race" system as per your thread name, then you'll need a big bore header as well to extract the max out of thet motor. Staintune make a full big bore system but they ain't cheap. I've found a guy in Germany who makes a big bore stainless header for only 116 Euro which is a much more reasonable price, which would mount up to a FMF/Supertrapp/White Bros with a little adaptation. Last time I checked his site however he wasn't accepting credit cards which makes buying more difficult however............Check it out though, he has some interesting DR stuff:

www.hessler-motorsport.de