Sign in to follow this  

Burned Blew It !

Just recieved my October issue of Dirt Rider magazine.

Seems they got a little bit of mail concerning J.Lewis's

review of the TT DRZ 475. His response , "I tell it like

it is". He continues on about why the bike should have

been delivered with the quiet core installed,and the

stator problem. But I feel his main problem was ,

" but to me it's massive power character and

lowered stature seemed much more suited to on road

or supermoto,where the beast might hope to

actually get traction."

Sounds to me like our 475 made a little too much

boost for Mr. Jimmy. :ride:

So , Eddie . It's all your fault . :thumbsup:

Maybe Jimmy should turn in the man card... :applause:

I've ridden at Jimmy's school, he has "man card" to spare! :thumbsup:

Simply amazing what he can do with a motorcycle. :ride:

Simply amazing what he can do with a motorcycle. :thumbsup:

....and even more amazing what he does with his mouth. :ride:

I have read the requirements of the Build off and the specs of Eddie's build. Also have read posts on Jimmy's review, TT rebuttal and various comments.

My carefully considered 2 cents:

Eddie & friends built a bike the whole TT community could be proud of and would kill to own. It had all the the cutting edge mods we dream about in one package. It was delivered in an inhumanly short lead time and was done with several "options" that could be adjusted to fit the situation.

It perfectly fit and even sxceeded the description of the build off as it was written.

The bike was delivered and the options explained several times.

There was a minor problem with the bike and instead of fixing it, Jimmy chose to complain, chastise and berate the bike, the builders and TT in general.

His "holier than thou" attitude was proven hypocritical when he rode unsafely and proceedeed to lead riders down closed trails. He also completely disreguarded his own guidelines concerning the build off.

I, as a new member of the TT community would definately trust Eddie's advice and even buy the bike or build one like it if I had the money!( and the cajones to ride it)

Remember, most all media outlets have their own welfare in mind, by sparking controversy they sell more of their rags.

At the end of the day, can you PM Jimmy about your own personal bike and expect an answer?

Eddie and TT keep up the good work!

^^ well said :thumbsup: it's already been proven that "we" all trust Eddie and his mechanical expertise. on a daily, sometime hourly, basis he is dishing out advice for tuning all of which is dead on. :ride:

btw, i haven't read the article but can only base my opinion on what i have experienced and witnessed here on the TT board.

Don't get me wrong, Eddie's bike is the cats pajamas for sure. Of that I have no doubt.

I haven't read the article in DR.

My response about Jimmy is if you think him a wuss, you should see him ride. You don't finish the Dakar being a wuss, let alone on the podium.

As for journalistic endevours, I can't comment. I'm always looking at the cool bikes! :thumbsup: Jimmy does reply to PM's on AdvRider.

Is there a scan of the article in the 475TT section? I'd like to check it out.

He even answered my redundent questions over and over again even on a holiday.....once the money pours into me my money is going to eddie and excel motorsports along with my motor...... :thumbsup:

If a DRZ makes big power it's too much but when a hopped up CRF appears in some rag with lots of power the testers go wild ranting and raving. I think they just do not want to admit that a 7 year old bike can put out some serious if not more power than the latest 4 stroke craze mx bikes :thumbsup:

I never understand the comments about too much power in the dirt.

Maybe because I've been riding a KTM950 in it and you can either modulate a throttle or you can't. ;-)

I think the critisisms are always tracktability, but thumpers are not the smoothest power delivery. I say adapt! ;-)

Don't get me wrong, Eddie's bike is the cats pajamas for sure. Of that I have no doubt.

My response about Jimmy is if you think him a wuss, you should see him ride. You don't finish the Dakar being a wuss, let alone on the podium.

Who ever said Jimmy was a wuss?

All comments I have seen said he was a great motocrosser.

Does that make him a great journalist?

DOes that make him a great editor?

Does that make him a great tester of bikes built for something other than motocross?

HMMMMM, I dunno

I think the turning in of the "man card' implies "wuss".

Point taken on journalistic part, which I agreed with earlier. (read the fine print) ;-)

I think the turning in of the "man card' implies "wuss".

Point taken on journalistic part, which I agreed with earlier. (read the fine print) ;-)

Yeah, your right..."Wuss" is a little to broad :thumbsup: ..."Dumb@$$" might be a better term! :ride:

Just recieved my October issue of Dirt Rider magazine.

Seems they got a little bit of mail concerning J.Lewis's

review of the TT DRZ 475. His response , "I tell it like

it is". He continues on about why the bike should have

been delivered with the quiet core installed,and the

stator problem. But I feel his main problem was ,

" but to me it's massive power character and

lowered stature seemed much more suited to on road

or supermoto,where the beast might hope to

actually get traction."

Sounds to me like our 475 made a little too much

boost for Mr. Jimmy. :applause:

So , Eddie . It's all your fault . :thumbsup:

I was there on the first test day, I saw Jimmy ride and I rode the bike.

The bike is powerful, but not uncontrolable by any stretch of the imagination. We rode plenty of trail with it and it was easy to ride & fun.

The 1" lowered suspension might not be advantageous for an off-road race bike, but for the vast majority of trails & riders, the loss of 1" has little impact. It's not like these bikes aren't all to begin with. I lowered my WR400 a long time ago the same amount (I'm 5' 10" btw) and rode both track and trail with it and it was completely fine. My buddy Steve Claus at 230lbs. rode it at Lake Elsinore MX track and even on 40-50 doubles, the lowered, custom valved suspension soaked it up with ease. I loved the lowered center of gravity and in the tight stuff, being able to touch a little better had some upside.

However, the bike didn't suit Jimmy's needs. Why? I watched him playing on a 4" diameter downed tree, riding over and over it. The DR475TT was not designed for this type of riding. Why? Because that's not representative of the vast majority of riders on TT. How many of you crawl over 4" diameter logs? Maybe I'm wrong in my assessment. Me and most of the guys I like with like technical terrian, but we don't look for stuff like this. I suppose if I did, I'd by a trials bike.

The sound issue was so overblown it was rediculous. The stator issue was legit. Poop occurs, it did and it's been fixed. I personally logged hundreds of miles on the bike and it has not skipped a beat.

For someone that wants to dual sport, trail ride and street supermoto, the bike does it with flying colors. That's what we built and if Jimmy can't appreciate that, boo friggin' who... :applause::ride::applause:

<<<I watched him playing on a 4" diameter downed tree, riding over and over it. The DR475TT was not designed for this type of riding. Why? Because that's not representative of the vast majority of riders on TT. How many of you crawl over 4" diameter logs? >>>

a 4 inch diameter downed tree? If I ran over one of those on the DRZ i wouldnt even notice it. :thumbsup: