Sign in to follow this  

worn clutch?

on my 05 yz125 the adjuster and the cable at my lever seems to have to be all the way in for the bike to go and it grabs at the very end not mid range.is my cable worn or is the clutch on its last plate. just got the bike and don't know the history change the oil it seemed a little gray put asv levers on it to

It is most likely worn clutch plates but you can tighten the cable more at the cable adjuster behind the front number plate. Also try running some ATF to help swell the plates. I would still order new fiber plates since you will need them soon regardless. :thumbsup:

I'm not going to get into the ATF fix all fight on this but I don't think ATF is going to fix anything on this problem. Besides The changes that were made to the 05S and up YZ's you don't want to use ATF, those gear boxes don't like it. I put it in my bike at the suggestion of some of the members right here on TT and must say, call me stewpid once but never twice.

There are a few here that will tell you to use it but I feel they are doing a great dis-service to everybody here to throw that blanket fix out there that ATF is a gospel fix or good for everything.

Take this for what it is worth. If my 05 YZ clutch was slipping the first thing I would do is check your cable and make sure it isn't frayed or otherwise stretched. If the cable is good the next thing I would do is pull the flywheel cover off, the 4 screws on the opposite side from the clutch. Look at how the cable attaches to the shift lever. This lever should be almost straight out. If it is angled down to where it's hitting the cover then the clutch plates probably need changing.

There is another thing that will make the clutch slip and that is the clutch basket may be grooved to the point where the plated are hanging up and not moving in and out freely like they should. You will have to pull the side cover off the clutch. Lay the bike on it's side so all the oil wont run out. Remove the cover bolts and what you will be looking at is the clutch basket and clutch springs. You will have to remove the screws that lock in the clutch springs one by one and sit them aside. When you have them out you can remove the outer pressure plate. flip it over and look at the outside edge, this is the area about 1/2 in wide that the last fiber plate rides on. When you look at it you will probably see that it has worn done quite a bit. If that's the case you have probably found your problem and need to replace this plate along with the fiber as well as the metal plates and you should be all set.

At this point you are looking at the clutch plates. They can be removed easily by inserting your finger into the two open holes on either side of the case. you can take a screw driver and pull the last two or three out where you can get to them. Now you can take a look at the basket. Pick up one of the fiber plates and look at it. You will see on the outside edge where there is (what I call the tabs) protruding areas that fit down into the basket. The fiber and metal plates stack one after another. You will probably notice that the fiber plate has cut a groove into the basket where it sits in the basket. If the grooving there is excessive it will cause the clutch to hang up and not release or in some cases will hand up and not let the clutch engage and slip.

Besides an improperly adjusted cable these grooves will make a clutch wear out quicker than anything.

I have in a pinch added another medal plate to the basket to shim out the clutch so that I can get some more use out of the worn out plates and pressure plate. It will last several races like this and should give you enough time to get replacement parts to fix it right.

Spot on Olddude, I agree, sound advice. :thumbsup: