Sign in to follow this  

trailer brakes

I bought a 24ft Haulmark cargo trailer 3 years ago for a great price, a much bigger trailer than I needed but the price was to good. I have been towing it with our 28ft fleetwood, installed electronic brake controller on the motorhome, adjusted the brakes correctly, and has worked great. This year, no matter how I adjust the brake controller, the trailer brakes wont kick in quick enough. I can manually apply the trailer brakes to help in stopping, but was wondering if there would be some other maintenance I should do or check. This weekend I will pull the hubs and check the brakes shoes for wear, but was curious if I need or could do something else. Is there a routine maintenance that should be performed yearly? thanks for any advice, cman.

The brakes on your trailer are not self adjusting like your truck.

Adjust them properly and you will see a better response.

Smart Brake Controllers like the Prodigy will let you control the speed at which the amps to the trailer are ramped and give you higher initial amperage if you want. When your trailer weighs more than your truck, this is helpful.

The one drawback is the Prodigy is $90, (but worth it in my book)

prodigy is worth every penny! Retail is $149 now for them.

Sounds like you have to take off the wheels and adjust up the brakes on the trailer. Grease the bearings while you are there also.

Check all the ground wires on the brakes and the connection to the truck

Also, if it is an inertial controller like the Prodigy, make sure that it is well secured to a solid part of the tow vehicle.

thanks for the advise, I will grease the bearings while apart. the controller is a kelsey unit, I didn't get a manual with it,it does have a couple of dials to work with in setting up the brakes, but will look it up on the net.to find out for sure.

Thanks again cman.

Going to school was never this much fun :thumbsup:

I think one dial should control how much braking force is applied, and the other how rapidly it is applied (how far down on the pedal throw), at least my draw-tite does. I don't know about your unit, but some of the odler ones worked on a pendulum principle instead of electronics. The pendulum ones are POS's.

Adjust the brakeson the trailer. I had same issue now solved. You shouldn't have to take the wheel off, but it should be in the air so you can spin the tire. There should be a little access hole on the back of the drum.

Good luck.