Sign in to follow this  

Rebuild Question

Has anyone had to rebuild there motor because of valves or any thing that has gone wrong in the motor. I have been thinking of getting a 450xc. Thanks. :thumbsup:

Dropped off my engine this weekend for the 312 kit. Got to see the differance between a Honda CRF250R and a new 07 KTM 250F SX, KTM is built more like more like a 350 to 400cc bike if Honda was going to build one. Piston on the KTM has twice the surface area on the piston (thrust), much larger rod with bronze material for the piston pin, main bearings/crank much bigger, NOW for the clincher, because the valve train has all round items pushing on round items (cam/lifter/finger) to is much easier on the valves, transmission is more 250 2-stroke, not 125 sized like the other brands.

This engine has been in production 7 years and is good enough that many every week riders are out there weekly on 5 to 7 year old bikes, so lots of them have been rebuilt. I do an average of one cylinder head a week, not because they arn't good, because they get hard use including injesting a bit of dirt. Most heads when they get here are still runable but making them fresh spiffs up the performance considerably. If you get two seasons "off road" on any bike the engine has served you well!