Sign in to follow this  

New DRZ400S Owner w/suspension questions

Hello - Been riding the heck out of my DRZ in very rough conditions and the suspension seems very, very soft. Prev bikes have been 2 stroke YZ and KX motocross bikes. I cant ride the DRZ even close to how I used to ride these bikes. I do have a lowering link as I am vertically challenged. I weigh 205. Suggestions?

Start by going to the Race Tech webpage, and punching in your numbers.

In the meantime, do a search for 'race sag', and set up your preload as best you can with the stock setup.

Also...

Back off the blue high-speed compression adjuster nut, all the way out. The DRZ shock is WAY over damped in this regard.

:thumbsup:

Time to get the shock and forks with some new springs. :ride: The DRZ comes with very soft springs on them and will need to be changed out if you plan on doing some hard off-road riding. :thumbsup:

Thanks

Blue screw, according to the manual is the low speed, the larger nut is the high speed. Can you clarify adjustments? Stock setting on the blue was at 10 clicks out.

Thanks

Thanks

Blue screw, according to the manual is the low speed, the larger nut is the high speed. Can you clarify adjustments? Stock setting on the blue was at 10 clicks out.

Thanks

you're right, the flathead screw is LSC, the larger nut is HSC. you should definately upgrade the springs, front and rear. the shock and forks are very nice units and very adjustable. low speed compression is used generally for attitude control, weight transfer duties, while the high speed compression is a blow-off type system to manage higher velocity events.(to keep these events from pitching you off the bike) getting the spring package right is the first step. then go about changing the damping. hope this helps, Joey

Stock the S comes with .44 fork springs and a 5.5 on the rear. I weigh 185 and have .46 on the front and a 5.7 on the back. I also went to 7.5wt silkolene fork oil (stock is 5 wt if I am not mistaken) and installed a Race Tech kit out back. It is like a new bike.

At your size and if you are hammering it in the CA desert, you probably need .48 fork springs and a 6.0 out back. Quality fluid helps too. I could not believe the difference in my forks from simply dropping in those springs and pouring in the better fluid. Perhaps I am missing out, but I feel no need to revalve them. They are my favorite off road forks I have ever ridden behind.

The most important single suspension adjustment on a new DRZ is to set the race sag for your weight. Mine came from the dealer (or factory) out of adjustment (it had 2-1/2 inch static sag, which should have been no more than about 1-1/2 inch without the rider). Setting it right made a big improvement in handling. All the other adjustments combined (front and rear compression and rebound clicks) were only fine tuning compared to the race sag.

Also, setting race sag is easy to do if you follow the detailed instructions on TT.

2-1/2 inch static sag? That is nuts!

I like just under 3 3/4" race sag with me aboard standing on the pegs in the crouched position. If you have to wind the spring so tight that you lose static sag altogether, that is a sign your spring is too soft.

Given your 205lb weight, I will save you the trouble. Your stock springs are too soft.

I agree. My perception is that the stock setup is very plush in it's initial few inches of travel. I can see how a different link that makes it even more so would screw it up for hard riding of road.

It is amazing how much sharper steering and lighter my S feels with the heavier 5.7 spring on the back.

Thanks, everybody. I just took it to Carnigie (great hills in central CA) after backing out the low speed dampening adjustment. I also dropped the air pressure 2 psi in the frt and back. BIG difference. It felt a lot more stable and it felt much better over the rough terrain. Big whoops were less debilitating. Without the lowering link, I would have a difficult time due to my 5'6" towering height. I still have a long way to go to dial in the suspension but it was a much better ride today.