Sign in to follow this  

2001 Yz 250

Looking at buying a used 2001 YZ 250. Anyone out there currently own one and ride/race one? I am interested in converting it to a mostly woods bike for racing hare-scrambles and Grand-Prixs.

I currently have a 2000 YZ 426F which I ride and race and don't want to part with. I am looking at the 2001 because I still want to ride a 2-Stroke (Mainly for MX tracks) and I believe most if not of the chassis/frame parts such as wheels/rims, suspension, gas tanks, radiators, etc.. would be swappable between both bikes. This would give me the best of both worlds given the budget I have to work with.

Help/Comments on the 2001 YZ 250 and how much the parts are interchangeable with a 2000 YZ 426F would be great.

Thanks,

RCD

Ya, I love my '01 YZ250 - it is mostly my woods weapon - perfect for woods/desert singletrack etc.... Turns great, very nimble, excellent suspension (for an '01 - I cant find anything to complain about), super light, nice and snappy, but controllable right outta the box - Mine's pretty much all stock, so no mods really needed! I'm thinkin' of trying an FMF Gnarly pipe, but otherwise, I plan on riding/racing this bike just the way she is - Also perfect for tight technical Supercross style tracks - you'll be very happy w/it I think!

Not sure about interchange though....

I love mine as well, and fixing to load it up to ride a grass track and a cool woods section a friend has. It handles awesome, it's reliable, quick and takes to upgrades well. I have a 285 jug on mine, Vforce3, PC factory pipe, and a milled head and it is simply the best dirt bike I've ever slung a leg over. My only dislike is the blue color. I bought a Hurricane kit for it, but it won't fit as it's for 02 and up. I'm fixing to put it up for sale.

Craigus

I don't think you're going to find too many parts interchangeable between those two bikes, they have very different designs.

Thanks for the feedback guys. Went and looked at it Sat. The Bike looks/rides good and I can get it for 1,900 which sounds like a good price. It should make a great woods bike with very little mods as is. I believe most of the chassis - (Gas Tank, Plastic, wheels, suspension and frame) should interchange with a 2000 426.

Thanks,

RCD

Gas tank wont but the front number plate and fender will. The side panels wont swap over but the forks triple clamps and swing arm will. If your name is jerry and you like to rig then try swaping motors :thumbsup:

The '01 YZ 250 is a great bike and $1900 sounds like a pretty good deal if it's in good shape. I rode an '01 YZ 250 for about a year, then traded it for an '01 YZ 426. The gas tank, seat, and side panels are not interchangeable with your 426, but fenders, and front number plate are. Maybe the swingarm too (?). Anyways, good luck with the 250, they're great bikes.

Looking at buying a used 2001 YZ 250.

I ride a 99 which I think is basically the same bike/chassis. Really nice offroad except the gearing is not the best for trail riding (you have to compromise between too long a first gear or too short a 5th gear)

Other than that it is perfect and is very quiet with a FMF turbine II silencer (the one with a forrest service approved spark arrestor)

With the stock tank I get about 40 miles. If you are planning longer rides you might look into a larger tank.

I have a barely used larger IMS tank for that bike if you are interested. I only

ride my YZ on the track now that I have a KTM 450 EXC for trails but I've been too lazy to put the tank up on ebay...

Bruno.

I have a 2001 YZ250 and i love that bike man. It is super quick and nimble. The power comes on super smooth and yet hard hitting at the same time. You won't be disappointed but now i have to sell mine.