Sign in to follow this  

Best bike for my wife

Hello Ladies,

Sorry to post this here but I need this to come from real women riders.

Currently looking for a bike for my wife as she has come and seen the light and wants a dirt bike after many many weeks of trying to convince me she needs a quad.....looks like me holding out and telling her she'll have to ride around the campsite all the time due to the single track areas I prefer to ride.

Anywho......she's 32 going on 25 she tells me....LOL

Has ridden in the past.....84 xr200r,which was way to big for her.....seat height wise.

She knows how to ride pretty darn good.

I'm just looking for something that she can ride with confidence and not out grow so to speak.

E-start would be a bonus so I don't have to always start the thing for....Get enough of that with the kids while riding.

Thanks to those that reply

Chris

PS sorry about that avatar being what it is...I'm a guy afterall....

Thanks again

I'm not a woman, but I could help you get better answers. How tall is she? You said the XR seat height was too much. Also, how much power does she want? A TTR-125 or 230 would be a good choice, the seat height is pretty low.

did you try reading the pinned thread at the top of this forum? lotsa good info in there. read that, then see what other questions u have.

if she's small and light, a kx100 can be a great trailbike.

Velo,

No I hardly come in to the Ladies forum so I did not notice it.

Thanks for the tip. I'll check it out.

and Thanks to all that replied.

did you try reading the pinned thread at the top of this forum? lotsa good info in there. read that, then see what other questions u have.

if she's small and light, a kx100 can be a great trailbike.

i'll second that...kx100 is what i rode. friggin' fun bike. :thumbsup:

Yes I agree on that one......

My 89 CR500RK is a monster...I luv that bike

Used to tear up the coal hill in Roslyn back when I bought it new.FUNFUNFUN

So I'm taking the wife to a few of the dealers over the weekend and see what fits her/ what she likes to give me an idea.

Phhhtttt, CR500 baby, best bike ever made.

I prefer the KX500. GREAT beginner's bike! :thumbsup::ride::applause:

(that was a joke, please do not buy your wife a KX or CR 500.)

peace,

janette

OH come on. Just get her a TTR 125. that's all women can handle, you know. You can't get her anything that might scare her, or she might fall off of. And by all means get the e-start model! Kicking is WAY more than any woman can handle. Add an autoclutch too, because that pesky clutch lever is just too much to think about when there are more important matters to think about like which hot pink riding pants are most flattering on her ass and which chest protector will fit over her massive boobs.

OH come on. Just get her a TTR 125. that's all women can handle, you know.

uh-oh, someone's in her man-hating lesbian feminazi mood. lol.

bigcat, you never did say how tall/heavy/strong etc... your wife is. for the kind of riding i like to take people on (twisty, semi technical, fun stuff) a light and short bike is pretty helpful. therefore i'm a big fan of 2-strokes. real small girls (or less experienced) like the kx100 set up for trail use (flywheel weight, kickstand, spark arrestor). then next step up, which is suitable for any skill level from intermediate on up is a ktm200, possibly with lowered suspension, shaved seat/lowered subframe, and maybe a big flywheel weight for more technical riding. that's about the lightest grownup motorcycle aside from maybe a yz125, has a low seat height stock, and can be lowered more in a reversible manner if seat height is an issue.

of course you may be interested in a completely different sort of riding. in which case, pay me no attention.

My wife is new to dirt riding. She likes her TTR225 and handles it well.

Men are people.

My wife is new to dirt riding. She likes her TTR225 and handles it well.

as long as u stay off the tighter stuff, those are fine little bikes. a little heavy for a smaller lighter girl,imho. and someone who is a 'pretty darned good rider' will overtax the suspension in no time.

Men are people.

not to sharla. lol. :thumbsup:

as long as u stay off the tighter stuff, those are fine little bikes. a little heavy for a smaller lighter girl,imho. and someone who is a 'pretty darned good rider' will overtax the suspension in no time.

Oh, well...I don't have a husband or boyfriend so I had to buy my own bike. :ride::applause:

Anyway, I ride CRF230 and am kinda new rider too. (almost 1 year!) :thumbsup: I am not "pretty darned good rider" not just yet but I am getting there pretty soon. :applause: :applause: Anywho, my crf 230 handling just fine on tighter stuff and a fun for the trails and planty of low end power, yet I want bigger bike for top speed. I am thinking about getting KTM 450 or 525exc (E-start...it kinda nice) for next bike. Like you said an earlier post, I'll have to lower the sub frame and the suspension order to fit to my size. :applause:

OH come on. Just get her a TTR 125. that's all women can handle, you know. You can't get her anything that might scare her, or she might fall off of. And by all means get the e-start model! Kicking is WAY more than any woman can handle. Add an autoclutch too, because that pesky clutch lever is just too much to think about when there are more important matters to think about like which hot pink riding pants are most flattering on her ass and which chest protector will fit over her massive boobs.

Well said it! :thumbsup: It's sooooooo truth to some women:thumbsup:

The most of the time I'm riding by myself, so I don't have to worry about that kind of stuff.

Well she's a tiny little thing....

Went to visit a few dealers while in Bellingham this weekend and she had her eye on the dr125 ttr125....w/the e-start of course, and for some strange reason she kept bringing gear over to the bikes to see how they match....LOL

She's a women afterall...and I love her so she'll get it...easier that way.

So after checking out the bikes we went back to B-ham and went for a ride...

Damn proud of her the way she handled my old 84 xr200r, a little heavy for her but she managed.

I'm going to get her the one she wants but not till next month.Best thing is she thinks we're going to wait untl the new year to get her one.

I hope she's suprised and happy as this will double my riding time and what a better riding partner than my wife.

Thanks again for all the suggestions ladies.

Ride safe

Anyway, I ride CRF230 and am kinda new rider too. (almost 1 year!) :thumbsup: I am not "pretty darned good rider" not just yet but I am getting there pretty soon. :applause: :applause: Anywho, my crf 230 handling just fine on tighter stuff and a fun for the trails and planty of low end power, yet I want bigger bike for top speed. I am thinking about getting KTM 450 or 525exc (E-start...it kinda nice) for next bike. Like you said an earlier post, I'll have to lower the sub frame and the suspension order to fit to my size. :applause:

Once you get a little more experience, the 450 EXC would be a great choice. My wife is on her second one.

I hope she's suprised and happy as this will double my riding time and what a better riding partner than my wife.

Thanks again for all the suggestions ladies.

Ride safe

In my experience, your wife having a bike will NOT double your riding time. It will be far more than double. My wife is my regular riding partner and she wants to go riding every weekend and then some. We usually do.

We just got back from a two week riding vacation to Taylor Park in Colorado. On the way, we rode some in Utah and on the way home rode a different area of Utah and then some in Idaho.

Once your wife gets a little more experience riding, be sure to upgrade her to a better bike. The better she can ride, the more technical (fun) riding you two can do together.