Sign in to follow this  

Anyone tried a 15t sprocket on 06?

Has anyone tried a 15t on the 06 250, a friend tried it on his yz450 and loved it. If it pulls it, it should help with wringing out the bike as needed between jumps on a semi-tight track :thumbsup: Or does it make it lug too much?

Techmc

2006 YZ250

2003 YZ450 (parting out)

Would also be too hard to go from gear to kear... gear selection will be way too picky.

I haven't done that all I did on the gear of mine was I dropped two off the rear sprocket to a 48 so far I really like this way. With GYT-R flywheel weight it hooks up better now! I lost a little bit of acceration and I mean little! It didn't loose any snap really what it lost was wasted wheel spinning from over gearing. I can no ride it out longer in each gear plus the fact that when I twist the throttle it hooks up n drives forward! I really feel that the stock gearing is all about acceleration and they went a little to far.

I've noticed alot of you guys have done the opposite and gone up one on the rear to get the bike into 3rd faster. My setup makes 2nd much more usable and there is no noticable gap between 2 n 3rd. Maybe you've all read alittle to much yamahaction they always seem to push gearing up!

WAMXP1MP EXACTLY!, :thumbsup: that is what I was thinking.... Yea the 14/52 gearing is great that whipblash excelleration, BUT... my 250 has already too much of that, I wanted better traction like they say the 450's get, and a 15f or 48 rear sprocket should do it. I have the GYTR flywheel on mine also, and it still pulls my arms out of the sockets waaay too much. :ride: I'll try the 15/50 first and see if that calms that lurch, and then try the 14/48 if that doesn't work. If everything is the same, I should save money by just having to buy a frnt sprocket instead of the rear. With all that torque/lurch, why not gear up to put it to work, instead of spinning the rear wheel. :applause: Thanks P1MP, we are putting our engines to work not just "jumping" from 1 corner to the next. :applause:

2006 YZ250V

2003 YZ450F (parting out)

I haven't done that all I did on the gear of mine was I dropped two off the rear sprocket to a 48 so far I really like this way. With GYT-R flywheel weight it hooks up better now! I lost a little bit of acceration and I mean little! It didn't loose any snap really what it lost was wasted wheel spinning from over gearing. I can no ride it out longer in each gear plus the fact that when I twist the throttle it hooks up n drives forward! I really feel that the stock gearing is all about acceleration and they went a little to far.

I've noticed alot of you guys have done the opposite and gone up one on the rear to get the bike into 3rd faster. My setup makes 2nd much more usable and there is no noticable gap between 2 n 3rd. Maybe you've all read alittle to much yamahaction they always seem to push gearing up!

I use the same gearing and the FWW on my 03 yz that i use for trail riding and love it .My mx bike is an 06 yz with stock gearing and no FWW but im changing to the 48 and the FWW on this bike also to try and take the edge of the hit.

The 48 sounds fun.

This bike has so much power and torque that it will handle any gears you throw at it. I like the idea of a 48 because it would mean less shifting.

The 52 is a fun combo on this bike. Still I imagien the difference between 14/48 in second gear and 14/52 in third to be not much different.

I hope that made sence.

How does the 48 work at ultra low speed??? Do you find first gear being too tall?

I think soem of the mxa thoughts on the yz 250 were ok. After, how can you NOT learn about a bike when it has changed very little in 8 years??? Your bound to get soemthing right.

They appeared WAY off in their rating of the v force reed system and the pro circuit pipe. I wish Jody had both of these items shoved up his.......

Still, I did not buy them from mxa opinions.

I wonder how many of the folks that like 14/48 and/or pro circuit pipes ride a lot at high rpm's???

MXA is lead people wrong for years. That mag makes so much money with its many colorful add's and positive test and reviews.

I like the real world reviews that we can find in places like these very forums.

I do also like Jimmy Lewis's bike reviews in dirt rider... He kinda lets you know how it is, good or bad

I'll be interested to know if a 15 works out good also, I have tried the gearing on all sorts of terrain here in WA we kinda get alittle bit of everthing. By no means did it hurt it's MX abilities lower gears at lower rev's are no problem. The local place I do alot of my trail testing is slow n tight infested with rocks n roots can be a real bitch in the fall/winter. Or go eastern and get sandy big hills stuff, at washougal it was awesome.

Even with the flywheel it still would spin out over the rocks n roots or just about anyting hard pack or muddy. Going down the 2 makes it much more managable especially in the lower gears. Before I always kinda felt you just looked at the throttle and it was spinning in the lower gears and I started thinking why the hell does my 06 yz 125 have the 250's rear sprocket and the 250 the 125's?

i personally dont like it, it gives too much yop speed that you cant use, and it loses its kick when you hit the throttle. Go 14/48, working great for me.

i personally dont like it, it gives too much yop speed that you cant use, and it loses its kick when you hit the throttle. Go 14/48, working great for me.

You can't compare a 95 to a 06!

The 48 sounds fun.

This bike has so much power and torque that it will handle any gears you throw at it. I like the idea of a 48 because it would mean less shifting.

The 52 is a fun combo on this bike. Still I imagien the difference between 14/48 in second gear and 14/52 in third to be not much different.

I hope that made sence.

How does the 48 work at ultra low speed??? Do you find first gear being too tall?

I think soem of the mxa thoughts on the yz 250 were ok. After, how can you NOT learn about a bike when it has changed very little in 8 years??? Your bound to get soemthing right.

They appeared WAY off in their rating of the v force reed system and the pro circuit pipe. I wish Jody had both of these items shoved up his.......

Still, I did not buy them from mxa opinions.

I wonder how many of the folks that like 14/48 and/or pro circuit pipes ride a lot at high rpm's???

I am running the 14/48 combo with the pc pipe and dual reeds. the bike feels a bit high in 1st but the rest are great. i had 14/50 before and it didnt help or hurt the bike anywhere. I defineltely like the 14.48 better and power seems to still be very snappy. Recommend it! :thumbsup:

You can't compare a 95 to a 06!

Yea you can, 15tooth would be too high on any smoker bike unless you were running a huge rear sprocket. Of course a 06' will beat me on every part of the track but there both still 250 smokers. :thumbsup:

Yea you can, 15tooth would be too high on any smoker bike unless you were running a huge rear sprocket. Of course a 06' will beat me on every part of the track but there both still 250 smokers. :thumbsup:

The point is to take the sharp snap off the bottom end,of which your bike has very little compared to any 01 and up YZ250! Just like your bike has alot more snap than an 82 YZ250.

ahh, i guess i didnt read they wanted take snap away from the bike, well if thats the case 15/46 might work well. My bike isnt all that slower than a newer yz250, my suspension, frame, weight, exc... is worse than a newer one. But thats not news to anyone. :thumbsup:

ahh, i guess i didnt read they wanted take snap away from the bike, well if thats the case 15/46 might work well. My bike isnt all that slower than a newer yz250, my suspension, frame, weight, exc... is worse than a newer one. But thats not news to anyone. :thumbsup:

I'm not saying it's way slower,I've ridden a 95,but the throttle response off the bottom on the newer yz's is very sudden.

The biggest difference between my ported 97 yz and this 06 was in low end power and throttle response. The difference was stunning, actually. The 06 goes through the low end before you realize you were in the low end. Very fun. The 10lbs less weight does not hurt anything either.

Personally I run a 15/49 combo, but I only ride enduro, trail and woods type of terrain. For off road I found the 15/50 too brutal in tricky situations such as hill climbing etc as it made the bike too prone to instant wheel spin and the possibility to flip it. Short shifting through the woods seems to get the best traction with this gearing also. Top end is a bit scary on the faster trails though. The 14/48 for MX sounds about spot on.